Installer won't install RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't been on my laptop in a while and now, whenever I try to go on youtube or hulu.com, it freezes my computer or says I don't have Adobe Flash which i do. So when I tryed to reinstall it, it said my installer wasn't working correctly. So then I went around and found out I had to reinstall the Web Platform Installer. When I tryed, it said it couldn't start and to go for online help. My sound also won't work, through ear phones or the speakers.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:15 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The Microsoft Web Platform Installer 3.0 (Web PI) is a free tool that makes getting the latest components of the Microsoft Web Platform, including Internet Information Services (IIS), SQL Server Express, .NET Framework and Visual Web Developer easy.

So reinstallation of WPI should helpless for this issue.

According the issue, I just want to know whether you using IE 9? If so,  I suggest that you may check ActiveX Filtering:

1.       Run IE 9.

2.       Use Alt + T to open Tools menu.

3.       If ActiveX Filtering is enabled, disable it. Then check the issue again.

“it freezes my computer or says I don't have Adobe Flash which i do. So when I tryed to reinstall it, it said my installer wasn't working correctly.”

For troubleshoot an  Adobe Flash Player installation issue , I suggest that you may uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, then try to reinstall it again.

Please refer the troubleshooting guides from Adobe:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_DownloadInstall

Notice: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 19, 2011 1:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 9:18 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi, you said.. " it freezes my computer or says I don't have Adobe Flash which i do."

What Zhen Tan says re: ActiveX filtering being disabled is correct.  while ActiveX filtering is ON for any site the Flash player (and any other ActiveX components) won't run. You'll also then need to refresh the page after disabling it.

If you Trust the website you are navigating to, you can add it to your list of trusted sites by going to 'Internet Options - Security tab' also from the tools menu in IE9. And adding them there.

For sound you'll need to go to Control Panel - Devices, check your sound is enabled, check for latest drivers for it - also right click the Volume icon on the Taskbar, perhaps it is muted - or at a low level?

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 19, 2011 1:06 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The Microsoft Web Platform Installer 3.0 (Web PI) is a free tool that makes getting the latest components of the Microsoft Web Platform, including Internet Information Services (IIS), SQL Server Express, .NET Framework and Visual Web Developer easy.

So reinstallation of WPI should helpless for this issue.

According the issue, I just want to know whether you using IE 9? If so,  I suggest that you may check ActiveX Filtering:

1.       Run IE 9.

2.       Use Alt + T to open Tools menu.

3.       If ActiveX Filtering is enabled, disable it. Then check the issue again.

“it freezes my computer or says I don't have Adobe Flash which i do. So when I tryed to reinstall it, it said my installer wasn't working correctly.”

For troubleshoot an  Adobe Flash Player installation issue , I suggest that you may uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, then try to reinstall it again.

Please refer the troubleshooting guides from Adobe:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_DownloadInstall

Notice: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 19, 2011 1:04 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi, you said.. " it freezes my computer or says I don't have Adobe Flash which i do."

What Zhen Tan says re: ActiveX filtering being disabled is correct.  while ActiveX filtering is ON for any site the Flash player (and any other ActiveX components) won't run. You'll also then need to refresh the page after disabling it.

If you Trust the website you are navigating to, you can add it to your list of trusted sites by going to 'Internet Options - Security tab' also from the tools menu in IE9. And adding them there.

For sound you'll need to go to Control Panel - Devices, check your sound is enabled, check for latest drivers for it - also right click the Volume icon on the Taskbar, perhaps it is muted - or at a low level?

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    • Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Friday, August 19, 2011 1:06 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:33 PM