2008 print spooler stopping RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem with the print spooler on my Windows Server 2008 machine. All drivers are for 2008 except for the HP LJ2600N driver. HP has said that they will not support that printer under server 2008. For some reason the print spooler keeps stopping this server. No events in the event log. I noticed that I can start the service, log off, use mstsc to remote back in, and the service has already stopped. I have no idea what could be causing the service to just stop. I have already set the recovery options on the server to restart but whenever I log in, the service is stopped. Anyone else having similar issues? Suggestions on what to do?
    A+, N+, MCP
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is probably caused by incompatible services or drivers. Windows Server 2008 has been released in February, some manufacturers may have not produced or have produced but have not published the device drivers for their products to work with Windows Server 2008.

Apparently, it’s hardware vendors' responsibility to upgrade or update their drivers. If hardware drivers couldn’t work with Windows server 2008, it may lead to some serious issues. Therefore, I would like to suggest you uninstall this incompatible driver and test the result.

If you encounter any difficulties in uninstalling printer drivers, please let me know.

• Marked as answer by Morgan Che [MSFT] Friday, October 24, 2008 7:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MJJONES Friday, October 24, 2008 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Morgan Che [MSFT] Friday, November 14, 2008 2:19 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is probably caused by incompatible services or drivers. Windows Server 2008 has been released in February, some manufacturers may have not produced or have produced but have not published the device drivers for their products to work with Windows Server 2008.

Apparently, it’s hardware vendors' responsibility to upgrade or update their drivers. If hardware drivers couldn’t work with Windows server 2008, it may lead to some serious issues. Therefore, I would like to suggest you uninstall this incompatible driver and test the result.

If you encounter any difficulties in uninstalling printer drivers, please let me know.

• Marked as answer by Morgan Che [MSFT] Friday, October 24, 2008 7:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MJJONES Friday, October 24, 2008 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Morgan Che [MSFT] Friday, November 14, 2008 2:19 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Removing the driver is kind of the obvious solution. I was hoping that someone had a similar problem a different resolution.
    A+, N+, MCP
    Friday, October 24, 2008 2:08 PM