Deleting software updates RRS feed

• Question

• I know this has probably been asked before, but I need some clarification as to the process of deleting software updates from a package and deployment.

Scenario:  You have Package A and Deployment A that contain the same updates.  You also have Package B and Deployment B that contain SOME of the same updates as Package & Deployment A.  Of course, the package source is different for both.  You now want to delete an update from Deployment A that is also in Deployment B; but you don't want it removed from Deployment B.

My thought is that since they are totally separate packages/source locations/deployments that you can delete an update from A and not have any effect on B. I'm being told that this is incorrect, that you have to remove the update from ALL deployments and packages that it is in.

????

Thanks

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

• Don't draw any type of connection or relationship between deployments and packages. You have them labeled as A and B above but there is no reason an update in Deployment A can't come from Package B. Packages simply contain the update files so that a client can download them when it needs them. Deployments assign updates to clients. Once assigned, a client can pull an update from any available package.

Also, deployments don't really "contain" updates. They contain references to updates. Thus, removing an update from a deployment simply removes that reference from the deployment. It in no way deletes the update or removes it from any package(s) that it may be in.

Thus, simply remove the update from deployment A. Done. deployment B will be unaffected as will packages A and B because they are all independent objects/containers that have no relationship or dependency upon each other.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, December 14, 2012 7:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:44 PM
  • That's correct, you can remove any update from a Unique deployment without affecting any of the other active deployments.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:26 PM

All replies

• Don't draw any type of connection or relationship between deployments and packages. You have them labeled as A and B above but there is no reason an update in Deployment A can't come from Package B. Packages simply contain the update files so that a client can download them when it needs them. Deployments assign updates to clients. Once assigned, a client can pull an update from any available package.

Also, deployments don't really "contain" updates. They contain references to updates. Thus, removing an update from a deployment simply removes that reference from the deployment. It in no way deletes the update or removes it from any package(s) that it may be in.

Thus, simply remove the update from deployment A. Done. deployment B will be unaffected as will packages A and B because they are all independent objects/containers that have no relationship or dependency upon each other.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:14 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Thanks.  I guess maybe that's what I meant by my example is that an update can be deleted from one deployment which is advertised to (for example) workstations and that same update can be in another deployment that is advertised to (for example) servers without having any effect on the server deployment.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:15 PM
  • That's correct, you can remove any update from a Unique deployment without affecting any of the other active deployments.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:26 PM