Stopping the "On Modification" workflow from running right after the "On new" workflow? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In SPD on WSS3 I am employing the two default workflows for the Helpdesk template, only I have an issue in that the "On New" workflow makes changes to the request, so the "On Modification" workflow always fires at the same time as the new.  I have looked at ways of stopping the second workflow, but nothing seems to work for me.

Firstly I tried stopping the workflow if the reqest was only a few seconds old, but I couldn't figure out how to change the date feature for such a small time period, as all I appeared to be able to do was stop the "on Mod" workflow triggering on the day it was created, but since many a request is finished and closed off on the first day, that would not work.  So then I looked at who modified the request, and since it was the workflow, I hoped it would be a system modification, but alas no, the modification is still attributed to the originator of the request.  So doing this would prevent the user from ever triggering the mod workflow, ever.

So I am looking for  a good "flag" to use to stop the two workflows triggering right on top of each other.

Thank you kindly

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:01 PM No need at all for more than one ? in the Title
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:57 PM

All replies

• Correct me if am wrong..you want On modifictaion to never run when On new workflow starts?

regards

Amar
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:15 PM
  • That is correct, I only want the "on mod" to run if subsequent modifications are made by a human user, I do not want the changes made by the "on new" workflow to start the "on mod" workflow.
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:39 PM