incorrect date/timezone for read receipt message RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, last Friday one of our clients reported that every time she set a read receipts for recipients on her mail, the time, timezone and location of the read receipt message is always incorrect. It shows,

was read on Friday, February 9, 2018 9:53 PM (UTC+00:00) Monrovia, Reykjavik

Though, my initial troubleshooting was possibly on the Outlook, I've made sure that the timezone on the computer is correct. To isolate further, without using Outlook, I've went to the web of office 365 and checked the timezone, timezone is good. 

The account is an office 365 Business Premium. BUT the I tried a web mail like yahoo, gmail or outlook, whether on outlook or web, it doesn't happen. 

For a more detailed scenario, 

office 365 account is sender, sent an email to a non-office 365 with tracking, issue occurs

non-office 365 account (yahoo, gmail, outlook) sent an email to office 365 account with tracking, t doesn't happen

Thanks

Jeff

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Are you able to connect to the customers' Office 365 through powershell and run a 

Get-MailboxRegionalConfiguration -Identity "emailaddress"

And check if the time zone is correct?

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 12, 2018 11:18 PM
  • Hi Simon,

I'll try to install some pre requisite and see if I can connect online. There's no way in the office 365 admin portal to connect directly using ps right? I mean on the O365 admin portal?

Thanks

Jeff

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I was about to attached the screenshot but our office prohibits upload of pics for some reason. Anyway, the out shows

Identity                              Language             Date Format          Time Format         Timezone

<email address>                 en-us                   M/d/yyyy              h:mm:tt               Hawaiian Standard Time

This is the output of the command.

Thanks

Jeff

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I would try to set a different wrong time zone  on Office 365 web and see if it makes a difference on the read/receive message.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:31 PM
  • yep, I also tried to set an incorrect timezone, I tried Canada which is (-6:00) and I also tried Taiwan (+8:00) but both didn't helped resolve the issue. 

Thanks

Jeff

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:50 PM
  • Is this happening on just this user? 

Regards

Simon

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 12:00 AM
  • Actually know what, it happens on 2 users in our client. We also have office 365 and it also happens to me, my mailbox

Jeff

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:00 AM
  • Just talked to Microsoft Office 365 Support Engineer and they were saying that this is "by design" and it doesn't get the client's computer's timezone. It gets the server timezone. 

So I guess Im stuck for now on this and no fix as of the moment. 

Thanks

Jeff

• Marked as answer by Tech-Jeff Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Just talked to Microsoft Office 365 Support Engineer and they were saying that this is "by design" and it doesn't get the client's computer's timezone. It gets the server timezone. 

So I guess Im stuck for now on this and no fix as of the moment. 

Thanks

Jeff

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:30 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for sharing the above valuable information with us.

By the way, could you please help mark you post above as answer so that others who might have a similar question can more easily search for the information? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 16, 2018 8:31 AM