Can't sign in to Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

• I have not used Skype for several months.  Now I am getting an error that 'The user name, password, or domain appears to be incorrect.'  I have tried the password associated with my network login address.  I even reset my Microsoft Office password online and still it will not log in. Any other suggestions?
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:58 AM

Answers

• It could be that the local profile could have got some old details and certificates. you can clear them and attempt the sign in. Is your account with O365 Online? 

Delete local cache files on client computer.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

Registry Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\UserName@Domain.com

Linus

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

Also try to delete SFB user certificate by the follow steps:

Open Windows Certificate Manager. To do this, click Start, click Run, type certmgr.msc, and then click OK.
    Double-click Personal, and then double-click Certificates.
    Sort by the Issued By column, and then look for a certificate that is issued by Communications Server.
    Right-click the certificate, and then click Delete

Then test again.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:08 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:52 AM

All replies

• It could be that the local profile could have got some old details and certificates. you can clear them and attempt the sign in. Is your account with O365 Online? 

Delete local cache files on client computer.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

Registry Key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\UserName@Domain.com

Linus

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

Also try to delete SFB user certificate by the follow steps:

Open Windows Certificate Manager. To do this, click Start, click Run, type certmgr.msc, and then click OK.
    Double-click Personal, and then double-click Certificates.
    Sort by the Issued By column, and then look for a certificate that is issued by Communications Server.
    Right-click the certificate, and then click Delete

Then test again.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:08 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Are you using Skype or Skype For Business ?

If using SFB, your SIP address and User name may be different, try specifying correct SIP address and user name

J.B.Patnaik

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Had a significant percentage of users unable to logon to Skype (started yesterday morning). Tried repairing, uninstalling/reinstalling with no success. It seems like a random mix as some users are running the current versions of Skype4B 2015 and 2016.  

Clearing the local cache files worked. Clearing the "\16.0\" path for 2016 also worked.

Thank-you for posting this solution!

Friday, November 25, 2016 3:53 PM
  • I'm facing the same problem, with SFB 2016.

Clearing the cache files and Registry cache didn't work.

I can't find the certificate, I have only one, and that one is issued by MS-Organization-Access, so I think that is a different one.

But in the answers there was not a specification of the registry cache items I have to delete, so maybe I missed one there?

Could you of any help?

Rob

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:51 PM
  • Found the SOLUTION!

Gnawgnus Realm: Yet another fix for Lync 2013 or Skype 2016 - the server is temporarily unavailable error

Monday, November 3, 2014

Yet another fix for Lync 2013 or Skype 2016 - the server is temporarily unavailable error

I ran into this one on a 365 hosted, AD FS authenticated system with users running Lync 2013. Several users just suddenly started getting this error at random but it would only affect that profile on each machine.  If the same user logged in from a local profile or another domain profile then Lync would log in fine.  And if you torched the whole cached profile and forced a new profile load, Lync would work fine as well.  After having tried multiple Microsoft provided resolutions of deleting Lync profiles, temporary folders, cryptography keys, accountprofile.dat, delete sign-in info, etc., their support team had us kill the Lync process completely and then delete the whole  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSOIdentityCRL key  and then start up Lync.  And then it started working properly and we replicated the fix on the remaining affected profiles.    

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:14 PM
  • This also didn't worked. Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:24 AM