Active Directory Forest Discovery and Gradual Client Migration RRS feed

• Question

• We'd like to do a gradual migration of our SCCM 2007 client to SCCM 2012, by subnets preferably. I like Active Directory Forest Discovery however I don't think I should enable it out of the box for a gradual migration. I'm thinking I should just create a Site Assignment Boundary Group and then slowly add in the IP ranges that I'd like to first migrate. Am I missing anything here?

Orange County District Attorney

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Discovery has nothing to do with migration. You can enable AD and forest discovery. They will just add records (clients and boundaries) to the new CM12 database, but do not touch existing CM07 clients. You could do a phased client push afterwards or upgrade (+ reassign) the existing clients using CM07.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:27 PM
  • I guess I've always thought that once I added boundarys to SCCM 2012 I should also remove them from SCCM 2007. Isn't having overlapping boundarys a bad thing?

If I enable AD Forest Discovery and check the boxe to 'Automatically create IP address range boundaries for IP subnets when the are discovered', will that cause any problems between my SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012 worlds?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:33 PM
  • No, adding boundaries in CM12 will not do any damage. Boundaries in the new version do not have any values until you add them to a boundary group.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Could I enable AD Forest Discovery and let it create IP address range boundaries without impacting my SCCM 2007 clients? I like this approach to discover all my clients and create their boundaries too. When I'm ready to start a gradual migration, do I then create a Site Assignment boundary group and configure client deployment? At what point would I then need to remove the newly created ip range boundary from my SCCM 2007 hierarchy too?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Yes, because boundaries are just objects without any functionality. You have to add them to a boundary group to become functional.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Thanks Torsten. So I could start my migration by

1. Turn on AD Forest Discovery and let it create IP address range boundaries
    2. Create a Site Assignment boundary
    3. Add a specific boundary to the Site Assignment boundary
    4. Remove from SCCM 2007 the boundary in step 3 above
    5. Deploy SCCM 2012 clients to new boundary

Is this a feasible scenario?

Thursday, June 28, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it would be.

You could also create a Content location boundary which is not overlapping and install the sccm client using SMSSITECODE=xxx then the client will be assigned and find it's content without any risk for overlapping.

Regards,
    jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:51 PM