none
Setting up users so that they can only save to a USB device

Question

• I have a room of 9 public computers. They are on a local Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard domain. I want them to be able to download pictures and email attachments but only to removable media. Can I restrict the "Save To" location to only show removable media?

What it is exactly is a senior citizen center's computer room. They want to be able to save files, but I don't want them to save files to the local drive. External hard drive or USB flash drive only. Is this even possible?

Monday, December 5, 2016 9:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, we could set the file location for local drives of email attachments in the group policy via registry, but for removable drives, I doubt that it is working as the drives are “moving”, not static which could be recognized in the registry.
    You could refer to the following KB and have a try to see if it works:
    How to change the folder where e-mail messages and attachments are saved in Outlook 2003 and in Outlook 2007
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/823131
    And the question is also related to outlook, I would suggest that you could also ask it in the outlook forum to see if more information is offered.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:14 AM