USB Mass Storage Driver not Found ( vista home basic ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    My os is Vista home basic , I bought a usb mass storage (1G,Transcend company) when I pluged this device Vista Said that "Driver not Found",this Device have a lable that Works with Vista!!
    What can i do?
    Best Regards
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:16 AM

Answers

• Same thing I found, not one thing from any site was of any use to me at all. In fact many solutions left me without USB drivers of any kind....thanX alot. The Factory INF drivers and files were useless. Updates were useless, and the vendor sites don't help much either. Through sheer stubborness and a few dozen system restores, I kept digging at this until I was able to make/find my own solution.

I found that the correct drivers had been stashed away by Vista ALL ALONG even though it was not able to locate them by itself (WHY MS, WHY?).
    There were actually 2 copies of them in 2 different folders.
    The first copy was in c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx (x = number, differs on each)
    The second copy was in the very next folder, c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx (different numbers where the x's are)
    Inside each folder I found the missing files (so WTF can't Vista find em?)

usbstor.inf which I promptly copied to c:\windows\INF
    and
    USBSTOR.SYS which I copied to c:\windows\system32\drivers

Alas, Vista still would not find them by itself, so next I went into the Device manager in windows.
    I found the USB device that was in error and right clicked it to get "update driver".
    I chose to find the driver myself and had to browse to the c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx directory before it would locate anything.

Blammo! The darn thing finaly updated the driver to "USB mass storage device" (A tearfull heartwarming moment!)

I found on some of my other devices that I had to browse to the second folder....maybe something different in the INF, but in the end I had to manually copy the USBSTOR.SYS file in the c:\windows\system32\drivers   folder because Windows Vista would NOT do it even if you showed it where the files are in those directories.

I know how much this drove me nuts so I really hope that this info gets more of you running right again.
    Good luck!
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I had the same problems - Vista Home Premium on a brand spanking new Dell XPS 420 wouldn't recognise my Seagate external drive or a generic USB multi-card reader.

This post had the answer that worked for me:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=701256

Your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupted and should be deleted.
    You will need to edit its file permissions to give Full Control to
    the Users group before you will be allowed to delete it.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:02 PM

All replies

• hey there,

ive also been experiancing the same problem with vista home premium and have been

all the way through device manager and cannot find any usb mass storage drivers at all,

If you have found out how to get these driver or where i can get them from any help will

be much appreciated

thanks
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:04 PM
  • I purchased a USB external case for my HDD and it said on the package that its "driverless" except for Win98. It does work in XP and is plug and play but it doesn't work when plugged into Vista... the same happens with all my generic USB flash drives - all work in XP without asking for drivers but they can't even be detected in Vista... looks like Vista works backwards...

Hope you can update me when you find out the solution...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 12:56 PM
  • same problem, I'm using a 2G attache and it wont find the drivers either, however, I am also using a 2G Sandisk cruzer with no trouble at all, I looked up what driver it was using in the device manager and it's "USB mass storage device" and looked up the actual driver file from my system32 folder, so... the driver is there, windows just doesn't want to associate it with the other USB devices for whatever reason,

Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  

ive also been through the system32 file and found the usb mass storage drivers and windows tries to install them but instantly fails. i have two usb storage files and have tried both but neither work and both give me this message:-

WINDOWS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM WHILE TRYING TO INSTALL YOUR DEVICE

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

USB Mass Storage Device

The system cannot find the file specified.

If you know manafacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

Above is exactly what it says on the "update driver software" window that pops up when i point it directly at the mass stroage driver folders and it still gives me the same error.

i have tried to contact "creative" and they just keep telling me to try the simplest things to get this mp3 player to work but nothing works.

Ive tried installing it under "safe boot mode" with loads of windows features turned of but even then this same error occours.

Ive run out ofr ideas and still need help

thanks in advance 

Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:10 AM
  •  

Hello james!

Most (but not all) Windows XP drivers work in Windows Vista. In these cases, it is recommended to get an updated driver from the manufacturer. A couple of questions for you to know how to help you:

1. Have you tried to search for the driver on the Creative Web site? They have a support page that lets you download updated drivers.

2. What model USB device do you have?

Cheers,

-Tony Mann

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Tony,

I am having the same problem with a number of devices.  I found out which drivers they use on XP, copied the drivers over to my VISTA Home Premium system and tried to install them.  One of the 3 didn't exist, so it copied into the drivers folder with no problem.  The other 2 already exist in the folder, so I attempted to rename them and copy the XP drivers in....guess what - THE SYSTEM WON'T ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT !!!!!

Perhaps you can provide a method that works, or encourage Bill & CO. to FIX the problem.

Stu

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I had the same problems - Vista Home Premium on a brand spanking new Dell XPS 420 wouldn't recognise my Seagate external drive or a generic USB multi-card reader.

This post had the answer that worked for me:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=701256

Your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupted and should be deleted.
    You will need to edit its file permissions to give Full Control to
    the Users group before you will be allowed to delete it.
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:02 PM

• Same thing I found, not one thing from any site was of any use to me at all. In fact many solutions left me without USB drivers of any kind....thanX alot. The Factory INF drivers and files were useless. Updates were useless, and the vendor sites don't help much either. Through sheer stubborness and a few dozen system restores, I kept digging at this until I was able to make/find my own solution.

I found that the correct drivers had been stashed away by Vista ALL ALONG even though it was not able to locate them by itself (WHY MS, WHY?).
    There were actually 2 copies of them in 2 different folders.
    The first copy was in c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx (x = number, differs on each)
    The second copy was in the very next folder, c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx (different numbers where the x's are)
    Inside each folder I found the missing files (so WTF can't Vista find em?)

usbstor.inf which I promptly copied to c:\windows\INF
    and
    USBSTOR.SYS which I copied to c:\windows\system32\drivers

Alas, Vista still would not find them by itself, so next I went into the Device manager in windows.
    I found the USB device that was in error and right clicked it to get "update driver".
    I chose to find the driver myself and had to browse to the c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx directory before it would locate anything.

Blammo! The darn thing finaly updated the driver to "USB mass storage device" (A tearfull heartwarming moment!)

I found on some of my other devices that I had to browse to the second folder....maybe something different in the INF, but in the end I had to manually copy the USBSTOR.SYS file in the c:\windows\system32\drivers   folder because Windows Vista would NOT do it even if you showed it where the files are in those directories.

I know how much this drove me nuts so I really hope that this info gets more of you running right again.
    Good luck!
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Hello.. Joe from central Ohio here. I've tried it all. I've tried deleting the INFCACHE.1, I've tried deleting all the USB devices (host controllers and root hubs) restarting twice then plugging one in at a time, and I've even followed the step by step toutorial the guy directly above my post says.

I'm still unable to have Vista install the correct drivers for my usb flash drives. All my other usb devices work fine, i.e. webcam, printer, keyboard, and wireless mouse. I just don't understand it. It's driving me insane. I've got 2 external usb drives, both of which I've used on the system before, and two usb thumb drives, only one I've used on the system.

I've got a 2.6GHz C2D on a gigabyte motherboard with 2 gb of corsair ram running Windows Ultimate and I just don't get it. It's to the point now where I HAVE to back up and I'm willing to ditch Vista all together now just so I can make sure my data is backed up.

Any ideas? I'm really at a loss here. I'm A+, Server+ certified, you'd think I'd be able to figure this one out, but I'm completely stumped. I'd really appreciate any help!! Thanks!!
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 8:39 PM
  • GearFyre.....

You are a GENIUS.

Thank you <3

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:10 PM
  • I have Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade.  It recognizes every USB I plug in, but can't find drivers.  Things like Disney Mix-Max, generic MP3 player, and WB External HDD don't require or have manufacturer drivers.  My HP printer has drivers and still doesn't work.  I recently bought a generic USB 2.0 PCI controller card and installed its drivers just in case it was a MB/BIOS issue.  Vista recognizes the card with two USB host controllers fine.  However, devices plugged into the card do the same thing as those plugged into ports on the MB.  So, it's definitely a Vista issue.  I just got a new computer with Vista Home Premium pre-installed, and all is fine on it.  I haven't tried the solutions listed here yet.  I will try them and report back.

Thanks,

Sean

Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:01 PM
  •  

If there ever was a medal for “meritorious service to the frustrated common Vista user” it would have to go to GyreFrye.

I have just spent the last 4 hours searching Microsoft KB articles, uninstalling and reinstalling updates, editing my registry, deleting files (infcache1), reinstalling about a dozen already up-to-date drivers and searching through forums to absolutely no avail.

GyreFrye - thank you so much - your solution worked a treat. Not sure what exactly what it was that ended up working for me, but it was some combination of pointing the driver search location to c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx directory and copying the files contained in those directories to c:\windows\system32\drivers and to c:\windows\INF. 

Recommend to anyone experiencing this problem to give this a go before wasting their time with useless hotfixes and hacks.

I have saved a copy of your post should I ever encounter this problem again.

thanks again...

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:05 AM
  • I had a similar problem and tried your fix and it didn't work.  I did find a fix that does work and cured all my missing USB device driver problems.  The folder C:\Windows\winsxs is similar to what the folder \i386 was in Windows XP.  I was missing drivers for ten USB devices that worked fine prior to trouble I had with a Blackberry installation.  It drove me crazy trying to get them working again.  I spent an hour on the phone with a Microsoft tech and he told me that all the missing or corrupted USB drivers could be found in \Windows\winsxs.  They will not be found automatically:  You must browse to that folder and choose it for each device.  I updated the driver for all the devices, rebooted and installed two additional drivers and that was the end of my USB driver problems.

Larry K.
    • Proposed as answer by Yiu Korochko Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:10 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:00 AM
  •  

I tried all suggested fixes to no avail.  I finally reinstalled from within Vista to my D: partition.  I told it to do a full install and not to import anything.  (My original install was an upgrade from XP Pro with importing of settings, etc...)  After finishing the reinstall, everything worked perfectly.  It ever fixed my onboard sound issues.  Sorry that I can't offer an easier solution.

Good luck to all!

Sean

Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:53 PM
  • GearFyre and Larrykz----

thank you, thank you, thank you!  Between the "hidden" Drivers directory and the \windows\winsxs, my USB drive finally works again (it had worked perfectly before I "upgraded" to Vista SP1).

I've been searching for some time for an answer (saw many others with a same issue--or just couldn't get a USB device to load drivers; so it appears many others have the same problem).  Tried the useless Vista updates and "hot fixes".

Interestingly enough, I don't recall seeing any postings from any tech reps/employees from Micro$haft on how to fix the problem.... this indicates to me what a piece of S**t Vista is (still can't get an answer of how it's better than XP, besides Micro$haft won't allow Dell, HP, Acer, etc. to install XP on OEM equipment anymore Smile  Oh, there is the lockout Micro$haft has in its operating systems which won't allow you to downgrade (install a previous OS over the current "modern" OS).

Thank you again GearFyre and Larrykz!!!!

PS - Read today that Micro$haft has drastically moved up the next Windows OS release (thereby essentially indicating that it is giving up on "fixing" Vista--- hello Windows ME, you now have company in the worthless, useless, works slower than its predecessor, code-bloated "upgrade" OS department).

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:31 AM
  • Had the exact same problem on Vista Professional SP1.

Your solution worked perfectly.

Thanks a bundle

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:14 PM
  • Great! Thanks!

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:05 PM
  • I'm unable to gain rights to copy the usbstor.sys into c:\windows\system32\drivers. I've tried CMD as an admin, my account is an admin, i've tried to implement the superadmin feature (Net user administrator /active:yes) but still when i try to copy the usbstor.sys into the drivers folder, i get access denied.

Do you have any idea on how to proceed ???
    Friday, August 1, 2008 10:04 AM
  • @gearfyre
    thanx a lot man. my 1gb transcend flash storage which worked well in vista lite, didn't work in my vista ultimate. i'd given up any hope of retrieving my huge 430 mb odd data (i couldn't email it and download it, could i?). but i followed what you'd posted. and vista now recognizes my transcend very well. to top it, i didn't even have to copy the .inf and .sys files.
    i saw your post first and so i'm thanking you.
    thanx to you once again and thanx to all who have posted this method before.
    bal
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:57 AM
  • @GearFyre,

thanks a lot for this analysis.

In my case, the generic USB Mass Storage driver was sort of half-installed, with usbstor.sys in place in c:\windows\system32\drivers, but no usbstor.inf or usbstor.pnf to match in c:\windows\INF.

This resulted in a failure to install the driver _even when pointed to the correct location_, c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx, as per your recipe.

After manually adding the missing usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf to c:\windows\INF (not touching usbstor.sys), the USB Mass Storage device was recognized fine.

I had a number of c:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxxxxx on my machine; I made sure to use *.inf and *.pnf files that matched the installed *.sys.

I presume the _correct_ procedure would have been to uninstall the USB Mass Storage driver, then let Windows reinstall it on demand. But how to do that?
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 8:47 PM
  • thank you Gearfyre!! you are genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it does work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :^)
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I don't know if you'll ever see this reply to such an old post, Gear Fyre, but I still wanted to say Thanks.  Your words are still helping frustrated victims of Vista's oddities.  You are officially awesome!  :)
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:09 AM
  • THANKS ALOOOOOT GEARFyre..... !!!! your solution worked for me on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I don't know why windows wont search inside those folder by it self. Strange.

"

"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:45 AM
  • 12  hours of trying everything in this thread and elsewhere i found another solution that is only in one thread on any boards i could find:

First get this program http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html  USBDeview v2.15 its free and if your usb drive shows up in the list it means your hardware is fine and its a driver config issue. It highlights active usb connections. nice simple utility. in fact you can delete usb table entries for cleanup.

DIDN'T WORK:

deleting infocache.

forcing driver install by copying USBSTOR.sys per manual approach in this thread,  (this generally works with driver install issues.)

updating driver

Uninstalling all usb drivers through device manager.

manually edited registry by deleting references to disk.sys  and partmgr.sys   to allow clean install (dangerous and did not work)

WHAT DID:

By looking in registry entries i found storprop.dll  and researched it.   this is how i stumbled across a  related fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940267

The fix wasn't obvious because it was related to NETGEAR and i only recalled some kind of  "filter" thing in back of my mind.

This fix applies to winxp but worked on vista64 sp2  and likely on all windows usb drivers because its  system32.

NOTE:

the installation of "filters"   onto usb disk driver under device manager properties/details/property/value list is the ISSUE.

I just installed roxio creator 2012 and somewhere it added this entry to my to registry permanently. I didn't want to system restore and negate the hour spent installing let alone use of program.

MY FIX:

the filter name for roxio creator is: SahdAd64 (search the registry for this entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet(possibly all of them)\Control\Class\     for the roxio issue)

DELETE lowerfilter key completely.  then plug in drive and it should go through its usual install and usb mass storage drive returns. YAY!

POSSIBLE FIXES:

Here is how to find if you have a filter installed causing usb mass storage disks not to work:

Go  to Device manager, then open "properties" then tab to  "details" then under the list "property" look for any FILTERS lower or higher and if so note the "value" and copy value name.(properties/details/property/value)

CRITICAL: if you have any filters on the usb storage device it will render it unusable.

SEARCH REGISTRY  "FIND"   for "value"(in my case it was SahdAd64) of filter and delete the entire key of lowerfilter or higherfilter under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET###USBSTOR entry. or  "FIND NEXT" "value"(whatever value is listed in property) starting at --- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM to cover them all.

You can also look at  individual  entries without searching for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CONTROLSET###USBSTOR  but to be thorough i searched entire registry for "value" entries.

POTENTIAL ISSUES:

Roxio adds another virtual drive and while doing so configures your usb mass storage incorrectly.

I have had this happen before with VMWARE and couldn't get it resolved and resorted to full os reinstall.

RELIEF:

This is very frustrating fix to find and resolve because it is so hidden and seems to plague the most knowledgeable but is very common. This has to be the 3rd or 4th time for me with the USB DISK becoming uninstallable/unusable resulting in os reinstall. How is one to really know a filter entry is installed unrelated to usb storage?

A needle in the haystack!

WISHFUL THINKING:

A reference list of all details and property values for standard USB MASS STORAGE configuration would be extremely helpful to sort and compare   future usb disk issues.

Hopefully it opens a new direction in fixes for USB MASS  STORAGE  drive issues.

Good Luck!

• Edited by JSine Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:39 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:36 PM