none
Unable to install DPM 2010 Protection Agent on specific computer RRS feed

• Question

• The story itself:

I had a PC with agent installed and everything was OK until this PC's HDD crashed.
    Then I used DPM management console to to remove this PC from protection group and uninstalled Protection Agent - DPM warned me that unable to contact this PC but after some time asked me to remove related information regarding this PC from DPM server itself completely. OK.. fine.
    Also I deleted inactive recovery point from DPM console - don't need it...

I deleted this laptop from AD. Also I deleted this PC orphaned SID account from DPM server local groups (trustedmachine,trustedusers, dcom)

Reinistalled Win 7 SP1 w latest updates. Joined into domain. And after that I tried to install DPM Protection Agent to this PC - FAILED

Everytime I select this PC from list of PC's to add Protection Agent, DPM console will crash. Any ideas where to start digging to resolve this problem.
    I know, it's somehow related to the PC's name.. (if I select some other PC, then it will let me add this other PC to the list)

Event ID 999:

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>24.10.2012 13:35:29</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.AgentManagement.ServerCompatibilityJob.inquiry_InquiryComplete(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.Selection.ProtectionInquiry.OnJobComplete()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.RunOnceRunNowJob.CompleteJob(ErrorInfo errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.RunOnceRunNowJob.TaskActivity_TaskCompleted(RornTaskDef taskDef, TaskStop stopEvent)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Library.RornTaskDef.Task_TaskActivity(Object sender, EventMatchedEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EventManagement.EventManager.PollingThreadProc(Object data)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

rgds Sven

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi

Have you tried installing the agent manually on that machine and then using the command below:

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb870935.aspx

Tried. After that I was able to add this computer to the Protection Group - but this was not a complete solution, just a workaround. If I removed Protection Agent from that computer and tried to install this agent again I faced this crash again. I found similar case from some forum in internet and seems that there is some kind on DPM server database corruption - diagnosing this is out of my knowledge. So I taked the risk to reinstall DPM from scratch. So, at the moment. Case closed.

Now I should find out what are official steps to take if I need to remove orphaned computer account from protection group.

rgds Sven

• Marked as answer by Sven J Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:58 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you tried installing the agent manually on that machine and then using the command below:

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Hi

Tried. After that I was able to add this computer to the Protection Group - but this was not a complete solution, just a workaround. If I removed Protection Agent from that computer and tried to install this agent again I faced this crash again. I found similar case from some forum in internet and seems that there is some kind on DPM server database corruption - diagnosing this is out of my knowledge. So I taked the risk to reinstall DPM from scratch. So, at the moment. Case closed.

Now I should find out what are official steps to take if I need to remove orphaned computer account from protection group.

rgds Sven

• Marked as answer by Sven J Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:58 AM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:58 AM