Automatically approve Software Requests RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have System Center Configuration Manager installed and we installed Service Manager purely for it's software provisioning portal feature.

I would like all software requests to be automatically approved as all users should have access to whatever software they want however I'm getting confused with workflows and change requests etc.

Can this be done in SCSM or is there a better way where users can have access to a web page where they can choose to install any software they'd like without any approval processes?

Cheers

Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, Service Manager can do this. You just need to ensure that the Change Template you associate with the 'Software Deployment Process' contains no activities. This will ensure that only the automated activity is added to the Change and thus run automatically.

Thanks
    Mark

Mark | http://www.silversands.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Bocky25 Monday, January 17, 2011 3:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bocky25 Monday, January 17, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:39 AM
  • You just need to ensure that the Change Template you associate with the 'Software Deployment Process' contains no activities. This will ensure that only the automated activity is added to the Change and thus run automatically.

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I tried...

1. Created a new 'Change Request' template and gave it a name/description and did not specify any other settings
    2. Created a new 'Software Deployment Process'
    3. Selected a Software package (that has been published)
    4. Selected the new Change Request Template
    5. Submitted a software request for the appropriate package through the portal

I have not received the package that I requested and the portal client is installed on my current machine. The status of the request in 'All Change Requests' is In Progress.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Monday, January 17, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Hi,

That all looks correct from a Service Manager perspective. So it looks like maybe an SCCM issue. Couple of questions.

1. Have you deployed Software from the portal before?
    2. Is a new collection created for this software deployment under "All Service Manager Software Deployment Collections" in SCCM. Does your machine appear in the SCCM Collection?

Thanks

Mark

Monday, January 17, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

That all looks correct from a Service Manager perspective. So it looks like maybe an SCCM issue. Couple of questions.

1. Have you deployed Software from the portal before?
    2. Is a new collection created for this software deployment under "All Service Manager Software Deployment Collections" in SCCM. Does your machine appear in the SCCM Collection?

Thanks

Mark

1. No this is my first attempt of deploying software from the portal. We only installed Service Manager as a means of automated self-service of software.

2. No, I do not have a collection called "All Service Manager Software Deployment Collections".. should I create that collection then link our software collection/all systems collection to that then select the "All Service Manager Software Dep..." collection to synchronize within the Config Manager connector?

Thanks a lot Mark

Monday, January 17, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

If all is setup correctly the Collection and sub collections are created by Service Manager. Taske a look at the link below to ensure your Service Manager Accounts have the correct permissions in SCCM.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678554.aspx

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Mark is most likely correct. Sounds like a permissions issue between SCSM and SCCM. Have you had a chance to look into this?
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Would the status of the workflow instance show any errors for the Software deployment workflow if permissions were an issue on the Config Mgr server?  I'm in the same boat as Bocky25.  I am testing the software deployment process and not do see a collection referencing service manager in Config Mgr.

I see no logs in the event logs on either machine that may indicate a failure occurred.

Am now getting the following error.

System.ArgumentException: Resource: CSLSCSM does not have Configuration Manager client software installed.

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ServiceManager.SoftwareDeployment.InstallSoftwareWorkflow.GetResourceId(String machineName, String siteCode)

at Microsoft.SystemCenter.ServiceManager.SoftwareDeployment.InstallSoftwareWorkflow.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(Activity activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)

at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)

at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

JoeyD
    • Edited by JDAllen Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:40 PM more info
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:30 PM