Backup of Hyper-V failing due to VSS Writer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi support

I have a client with a Windows Small Business Server 2008 - with Hyper V installed.

On the Hyper-V I have Backup Exec 12.5 (SP4) installed, and it takes backup of the virtual machines, including the virtual Small Business Server 2008, without any problems.

However, it fails to take backup of the Hyper-V itself, and returns with the following error:

(Server: "HYPERV") (Job: "BackupHyperV") BackupHyperV -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

In a Command Prompt, if I write: "vssadmin list writers", I get the following:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'

Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}

Writer Instance Id: {bf3c7df1-419b-451c-bb50-1a3f6058ef41}

State: [11] Failed

Last error: Retryable error

Symantec tells me that I can try to reboot the server, or contact Microsoft, as there is a problem with the VSS Writer.

Reboot did not resolve the problem, so I would like some help please :-)

A hint would be nice.

Best regards

John B.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Did you enable VSS properly?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/08/20/how-to-enable-windows-server-backup-support-for-the-hyper-v-vss-writer.aspx

(this article is the era of Server 2008)

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Brian

On the Hyper-V we do not use Windows Server Backup (therefore I do not have/ or use that regedit-key which the article is referring to), however we use: Backup Exec 12.5, where it returns with the following error:

(Server: "HYPERV") (Job: "BackupHyperV") BackupHyperV -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

In Backup Exec, the Hyper-V backup is succesful, if I do not enable the GRT option (Granular Recovery Technology, to be able to restore individual files from virtual machines)

But if GRT is enabled, the error above presents itself.

Symantec tells me it is a problem with the VSS writer, and therefore it's a Microsoft issue.

A hint would be nice :-)

Best regards

John B.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:39 AM
  • hello John,

Backup Exec installed on a hyper v server is an unsupported configuration.

'Installing a full version of Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 as a media server on a Windows 2008 R2 Server is not supported'

Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 Product Compatibility Information for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V

Regards,

Lenora

Lenora Moss Technical Support Engineer, SMB Partner Support, Symantec Corporation www.symantec.com

• Marked as answer by ms-support Friday, December 19, 2014 7:18 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 10:37 PM