Public folders in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Can I delete Public Folders in Windows EXplorer (Windows 7) if I am the sole user?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According the issue, do you mean the folders in the path of “C:\Users\Public” which is located in you local machine?

Here is a piece of information for Public Folder:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sharing-files-with-the-Public-folder.

By the default, only the account which in the Local Group of Administrators, can delete the folder.

Since some library contexts need to read this folder, deletion of this folder may cause unexpected issue. I don’t recommend you to delete it.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According the issue, do you mean the folders in the path of “C:\Users\Public” which is located in you local machine?

Here is a piece of information for Public Folder:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sharing-files-with-the-Public-folder.

By the default, only the account which in the Local Group of Administrators, can delete the folder.

Since some library contexts need to read this folder, deletion of this folder may cause unexpected issue. I don’t recommend you to delete it.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Hi Zhe,

The Public folders I referred to were the ones under the Libraries folder including Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos.

I am the only user on this PC

Graham

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:52 AM