none
Taking a very long time getting to the Deploy menu via USB. RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this issue once before. I created USB drives so we all can connect to MDT. It works great but after the last DS Update, it takes several minutes for the boxes to come up about the Customsettings and Rules, and eventually the TS Menu.

A previous reply to my post had said to regenerate the boot file, but as I do, I still see what seems like every single driver in MDT getting added to the boot file. I am not using any profiles for drivers. I use Total Control and have driver-specific folders with WMIC. Yet, right now I see the boot file getting updated with hundreds of INF files which I imagine is what's taking the boot up to MDT so long.

I do have WinPE drivers used to get the pc's to MDT to begin with but not hundreds of drivers. How can I stop ALL drivers from being added to my boot file?

Saturday, February 4, 2017 9:29 PM

All replies

• If you're using total control you should have at least made a WinPEx64 and/or WinPEx86 selection profile.

When you create "Media" it doesn't matter how you have your deployment share setup as none of that is inherited to your media based deployment. You will need to choose your selection profile. Just like you did in your main deployment share go to Properties and the Windows PE tab and set your selection profile. The same goes for your rules, you'll need to configure them.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:13 PM
  • I'm not using the USB as an offline media. I have the USB booting to MDT over the network. I set up MDT a very long time ago when I knew even less about it. I don't even recall at this point how to modify the WinPE. My caution is to ensure that everyone can still boot to the server with their USB, so I don't want to change things that break that path.
    Monday, February 6, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Okay no problem, I use MDT the same way you do. Well you still would want to have WinPE selection profiles and set it in the Windows PE tab.

Just follow the directions here - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

A great starting point would be using the proper WinPE cab file from here - http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-command-deploy-driver-packs-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment

Even you aren't deploying Dell computers exclusively it'll probably have most or all of the WinPE drivers you need.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Monday, February 6, 2017 8:52 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 8:51 PM
  • Thanks. I know at some point I need to sort that out. At this point, I can't remember which machines can get to MDT without special WinPE NIC drivers and which cannot. Never a slow enough time to tinker...since its full production, but I'll get to that link sometime.

Meanwhile, any idea why EVERY driver is being injected into the boot.wim?

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:57 PM
  • If I remember correctly the default is "All Drivers and Packages". This is why you will want to make a selection profile for PE, so it only injects the drivers necessary to boot to PE and start the deployment. Drivers such as network and mass storage. Be sure to configure both or at least the platform you boot to.

Monday, February 6, 2017 9:07 PM