none
How do I install Windows 10 admx in Windows Server 2008 (V6 B6002 SP2)

Question

• Specifically, I need to modify the Power Scheme for W10 using GPMC on the server.  It is a notebook that I never want to sleep/hibernate when plugged in.

When I go to Computer Config > Preferences > Control Panel > Power Options I can only create a Power Scheme for XP.  I can't find the settings I need in Computer Config > Policies > Adm Templates > System > Power Management.

I am under the impression that adding W10 ADMX templates will make this possible.  This is because adding the Office ADMX templates made it possible for me to manage Office settings using a GPO.

I downloaded and installed the W10 ADMX installation files and installed them (See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257)  This did not appear to have any effect.

I copied the EN-US folders from both of the installations to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions which resulted in errors as I browsed through policy settings. I restored the directory back to its original configuration and the errors are gone but I still can't control W10 power schemes with GPMC.

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!

Monday, April 17, 2017 3:32 PM

All replies

• Did you copy the ADMX files as well to PolicyDefinitions?  Or only the ADML files under EN-US?  You need both.

Copy files to \\domainName\sysvol\domainName\Policies\PolicyDefinitions\*.admx and \\domainName\sysvol\domainName\Policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\*.adml 

Also, are you using GPMC from a Windows 10/2012 R2/2016 workstation/server?

Monday, April 17, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response!  No, just the EN-US.  I will follow your recommendation and report back here.
    Monday, April 17, 2017 4:22 PM
  • Just note, my paths are if you use a central store.

Otherwise, copy admx and adml locally to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions and C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\EN-US

Monday, April 17, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Noted.
    Monday, April 17, 2017 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 2:59 AM