Sequencing .Net 4 and Expression Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I try to sequence .Net 4 framework as a middleware in App-V 4.6 SP1 (using this guide http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/03/10/new-kb-guide-to-sequencing-net-4-0-with-app-v-4-6-sp1.aspx). Everything goes ok but sequencer does not create OSD file (which I need to use DSC tool to create dependency with Expression Studio) - so I try to manually edit OSD file from primary application: Expression Studio by adding this line:

<DEPENDENCIES>        
    <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://pocsrv01:554/dotnet4/dotnet4.sft" GUID="043A9ABE-C93E-4B32-838B-33CD7DC4B8F8" MANDATORY="TRUE" />      
    </DEPENDENCIES>

just after <ENVLIST/>

My first question is: sould I import this middleware virtualized into Application Virtualization Management Console? Or enough is to put middleware files into content folder? Because when I try to import this there is an error: Unexpected error occured.... Error code: 0000C800

I can import many other virtualized application without any error so I don't look like problem with my server.

After sequencing .Net 4 (as a middleware) I revert virtual machine (sequencer) and then Expand this virtualized .Net on this machine. Then I started sequencer and start to virtualize Expression Studio. Without no problems I can finish it and copy to the server.

Next I manually edit OSD file (from one program within Expression Studio) and add lines with dependencies as wrote above. Then I import virtualized Expression Studio. When I try to lunch this on client there is an error:

"The package requested could not be found in the sytem data store or the files associated with this packag could not be found on the server...."

In event viewer I found 4 logs:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {24FF4FDC-1D9F-4195-8C79-0DA39248FF48}
     and APPID
    {B292921D-AF50-400C-9B75-0C57A7F29BA1}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

-------------------

{hap=D:app=Microsoft Expression Web 4 4.0.1165.0:tid=C80:usr=AppVUser}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not connect to stream URL 'RTSP://pocsrv01:554/dot4/dot4.sft' (rc 1690140A-20000194, original rc 1690140A-20000194).

-------------------
    {hap=D:app=Microsoft Expression Web 4 4.0.1165.0:tid=C80:usr=AppVUser}
    The client was unable to connect to an Application Virtualization Server (rc 1690140A-20000194)

--------------------
    {tid=F4:usr=AppVUser}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not launch Microsoft Expression Web 4 4.0.1165.0.

The package requested could not be found in the system data store or the files associated with this package could not be found on the server. Report the following error code to your System Administrator.

Error code: 4615186-1690140A-20000194

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:41 PM

Answers

• Use this approach to getting into the virtual environment of the primary application and confirm that you can browse the asset folder for the .NET Framework package whilst in that virtual environment.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by bbelko Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:33 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hello,

Can you access the .net framework virtual environment from the main virtual application?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:34 PM

All replies

• Those events logs are not related to App-V. You will need to import the .NET Framework 4 package into the Management Server, otherwise the client will never receive the package.

Are you able to confirm that you are receiving a response from the server at RTSP://pocsrv01:554? See this article for more info: How do I troubleshoot the App-V Management Server?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Yes, I can receive responses from server because I can publish other virtualized application (e.g. XML notepad) and I can load it without any problems. The problem is that I can't import virtualized middleware .Net 4 application. As I wrote there is an error when I try to import this:Unexpected error occured.... Error code: 0000C800

I try a few times to virtualize .Net and every time I receive the same error when try to import it into server. I find on another thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/e253b3a0-1508-4688-af41-4754793ae267) that if You want to have an OSD file You can create dummy shortcut - how should I do it, when I finish installing .Net but before check the checkbox "I am finish installing" (in sequencer) ?

Monday, March 5, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hello,

Never choose any other wizard that creating a standard package.

Sequence .NET Framework 4.0 and then create a shortcut anywhere to anything (such as notepad). Remove the option to publish those shortcuts at a later stage.

If you want to update your package - always choose the wizard add a new application. Never choose anything else

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:35 AM
  • What do You mean "standard package"? Not to use middleware or plug-in options never (even with .Net framework)?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, never use middleware or plug-in option.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Thanks for help. I did it as a standard package but there is an error when I try tu run Expression Studio on client:

"To run this application You first must install .Net 4..."

It looks like client does not know that the .Net 4 (virtualized) is mandatory for Expression Studio. But I check and below is OSD file (from client machine) for Expression Studio

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="53C12F34-830B-42C4-A447-66C98C2294EA" NAME="Microsoft Expression Web 4" VERSION="4.0.1165.0">
      <IMPLEMENTATION>
        <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://pocsrv01:554/expression/expression.sft" GUID="3302EF89-22B6-4BE8-89CC-9CB7EC7678D0" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\Microsoft Expression\Web 4\ExpressionWeb.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="expression\osguard.cp" SIZE="753917844" />
        <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
          <DEPENDENCIES>
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://pocsrv01:554/dotnet4/dotnet4.sft" GUID="043A9ABE-C93E-4B32-838B-33CD7DC4B8F8" MANDATORY="TRUE" />
          </DEPENDENCIES>
          <POLICIES>
            <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
          </POLICIES>
          <ENVLIST />
        </VIRTUALENV>
        <WORKINGDIR />
        <VM VALUE="Win32">
          <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows" />
        </VM>
        <OS VALUE="Win7" />
      </IMPLEMENTATION>

And here is OSD file for .Net 4 (name is notepad because when sequencing .Net I create shortcut for notepad):

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="C23CF77A-707E-45CE-AEAE-C51AFA616653" NAME="notepad" VERSION="6.1.7600.16385">
    	<IMPLEMENTATION>
    		<CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://pocsrv01:554/dotnet4/dotnet4.sft" GUID="043A9ABE-C93E-4B32-838B-33CD7DC4B8F8"/>
    		<VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
    			<POLICIES>
    				<LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    			</POLICIES>
    			<ENVLIST/>
    		</VIRTUALENV>
    		<OS VALUE="Win7"/>
    		<WORKINGDIR>%CSIDL_WINDOWS%</WORKINGDIR>
    		<VM VALUE="Win32">
    			<SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
    		</VM>
    	</IMPLEMENTATION>
    	<DEPENDENCY>
    		<CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0"/>
    	</DEPENDENCY>
    	<PACKAGE NAME="dotnet4"/>
    	<ABSTRACT/>
    	<MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    		<SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY%" FILENAME="notepad.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="notepad" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/dotnet4 Icons/notepad 6.1.7600.16385.ico"/>
    	</MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
    	<MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    		<PROGIDLIST/>
    		<FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
    	</MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hello,

have you verified that the client has the updated OSD-file?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:24 PM
  • As I wrote above - OSD files pasted above are from client. I try this also on a new client and the same error
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hello,

Can you access the .net framework virtual environment from the main virtual application?

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:34 PM
  • What do You mean? When I try to run main virtual application (Expression studio) there is an error that I should install first .Net framework. When I look in Virtualizatoin client console I can see that the dotnet4 (virtualized .Net framework) is loaded 100%
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Use this approach to getting into the virtual environment of the primary application and confirm that you can browse the asset folder for the .NET Framework package whilst in that virtual environment.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for link - I checked and I can't see any folders from .Net virtualized package. I virtualize .Net 4 again and it works now:)
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:32 PM