none
How to attach supporting excel file with word document in document library?

Question

• I have a document library with custom content type and word template attached to it. I am creating a word document using this content type and word template using custom workflow. Now I want to attach supporting excel file with this word document in document library. Is there any way that once the word document is created then in the next workflow assigned person can upload supporting excel file with this word document.

Let me know the better ideas either programmatically or manually.

Thanks in advance.

AshitaP

• Edited by AshitaP Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 1:26 PM

Answers

• Ok. Finally I found the workaround for this problem. Yes that is correct that I can not attach multiple docs with existing document library item so to achieve my task, I did following steps:

1) I created content type column of type "URL" for the document library.

2) Attach multiple docs in edit form of custom workflow task. This step will store Multiple doc in the workflow task list.

3) Get all the url of the attachments and save it into document library's "URL" column. so anyone can directly access those attachments from the doc library itself.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hope this could be helpful to someone.

Thanks,

AshitaP

• Marked as answer by AshitaP Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hi AshitaP,

If i understand correctly, you want to able attach an excel file into the word document which created by workflow in document library. It's possible, you can attach an excel file into the document library word file like the usual way:
    "While in your Word document, place your cursor where you want to attach the file(s). Then click on the "Insert" tab at the top. Click on "Object" and then select the "Create from file" tab. "Browse" and select the file you want to attach and then check the "Display as icon" box. Finally, click the "OK" button. That should do it."

Thanks,
    Lhan Han

Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest to use Document Set (new feature of SharePoint 2010) instead of Document Library. Document set can allow you to bundle all related documents easily.

thanksArup MCTS - SharePoint

Play Sudoku Online

Thursday, August 09, 2012 12:27 PM
  • Lhan Han,

Thank you for your answer but my question is how can I attach excel file with this word file as an attachment. I do not want to import excel content in word file.

I want to keep supporting excel file with this word document as an attachment in the document library.

I m sorry, If I did not explain properly before.

Thanks,

Ashita

AshitaP

Thursday, August 09, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Arup,

Thank you for your suggestion but I am already having document libraray and now as a new feature I have to accomplish this task of attaching excel document as a supporting document with the word file in SP document library.

AshitaP

Thursday, August 09, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Ashita,

I think it is not possible the way how you are expecting with document lib. You cane use custom list or document set to achieve this.

thanksArup MCTS - SharePoint

Play Sudoku Online

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Ok. Finally I found the workaround for this problem. Yes that is correct that I can not attach multiple docs with existing document library item so to achieve my task, I did following steps:

1) I created content type column of type "URL" for the document library.

2) Attach multiple docs in edit form of custom workflow task. This step will store Multiple doc in the workflow task list.

3) Get all the url of the attachments and save it into document library's "URL" column. so anyone can directly access those attachments from the doc library itself.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hope this could be helpful to someone.

Thanks,

AshitaP

• Marked as answer by AshitaP Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:41 PM