windows xp home s/p 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,all

i do not know what is wrong with my laptop evey thing even my photos open with notepad a lot o

f numbers and letters.

The next problem i have is,my windows folder is shaded,i cannot open system restore,system information to get to device manager,nothing..

I CANNOT GET ANY INFORMATION FROM RUN,IT TELLS ME THAT IT CANNOT LOCATE ,,MFC42U.DLL...AND...USP10.DLL.

i do not have a windows disc ,or any other disc to help,i cannot download help it will not let me.

should i throw the laptop in the bin,or can someone help me? many thanks..

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• 1. Do you have a active Virus software loaded on your lap top, norton, mcafee etc...

2. Do you think a virus is the problem? If so, Can you restart your computer when needed?

3. Do you have access to another working computer?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for trying to help me.

1.no.

2.i am not sure if virus or not,yes i can restart no problem.

3.yes i have another.

ps.I HAVE AN XP PRO DISC FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE,I TRIED TO UPGRADE FROM HOME TO PRO,THATS WHEN I THINK THE PROBLEM STARTED,SO I TRIED TO UNINSTAL WXP PRO,IT WOULD NOT MOVE.WHEN I SWITCH ON NOW I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN HOME AND PRO.IF I CHOOSE PRO IT ASKS ME FOR A PASSWORD(I DIDNT ENTER A P/W AT ANY TIME),SO I CHOOSE HOME,BUT THE PROBLEMS I HAVE MENTIONED ARE THERE.

i AM SORRY IF THIS SOUNDS A TOTAL MESS,BUT GRATEFUL FOR GUIDANCE..

r t harris
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Follow these instructions on this forum page to scan your system for viruses.  with this method, windows does not need to boot, it will scan before boot. And its the best way to see if you have a virus effecting your boot problems. http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/288388-unbootable-system-tutorial/

But! from your last post, I think you have to think about reinstalling windows new again with a full destructive format.  You have 2 OS on one computer, not uncommen, but both are not working. Since the only disc you have is the WIN xp Pro, put that disc into your CD rom or dvd drive and restart the computer, follow the prompts to get to recovery. Either F11 or R when booting should get you there, some disc automatiacally ask to boot from cd: select boot from cd, then select language, and then 1,2 or 3 options. Usally, option 1 is full format, it erases all data and alows you to load windows new again.

It all depends on what kind of computer you have, in the way the recovery/reinstall works.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Thanks i will try what you suggested,i have hit the f11 key many times while booting it came up with some thing about keyboard keys stuck. The r i havent tried.

my laptop is DELL INSPIRON 1150 (OLDIE).

But i will try what you have suggested,

many thanks for sticking with me..

r t harris
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Sorry it has taken me so long to follow your instrutions.it has worked (thank you)

BUT...now i have windows xp pro in safemode,i cannot download my internet provider because i cannot get my window to show me the "i accept" portion.

If you can advise me further it would be much appreciated.

regards rae.

r t harris
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:06 PM