none
Need help with DPM 2010 recovering an Exchange 2007 mailbox with the "Recover to another database on an Exchange Server" option RRS feed

• Question

• We have managed to successfully restore a mailbox using DPM 2010 in to a normal storage group (note: not a recovery storage group). I disconnected an AD user's mailbox and have been trying to figure out how to reconnect that user to the mailbox that was restored via DPM 2010. How is this possible, if at all?

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way, but what we're testing is whether it would be possible to restore a backed-up mailbox/storage group to one of our other Exchange 2007 servers and connect a user with an existing mailbox to the other server (the one holding the restored mailbox).

Also hopefully this would shed more light on this DPM recovery option ("Recover to another database on an Exchange Server") its practical benefits and what scenarios it would be the best recovery method.

Any light shed on this would be great, many thanks in advance.
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, April 15, 2011 12:06 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• We've used this process in the past to use the restored mailbox on a recovery storage group on the Exchange server, I've not tried in a recovery storage group on an alternate Exchange server. Hope this helps.

Restoring Exchange 2007 mailbox

1.      Create a restore location on the Exchange Server, I.e. d:\restore

2.      From the Exchange powershell create a recovery storage group. I.e. New-StorageGroup –Server hoex01 –Name “Recovery Storage Group” –systemFolderPath “d:\restore” –LogFolderPath “d:\restore” –Recovery

3.      Create the recovery database. I.e. New-MailboxDatabase –MailboxDatabaseToRecover “Mailbox Database Name” –StorageGroup “hoex01\Recovery Storage Group” –EDBFilePath “d:\restore\Mailbox Database.edb”

4.      Allow restore for recovery storage group. I.e. Set-MailboxDatabase -Identity "hoex01\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database" -AllowFileRestore $true

5.      Open the DPM Management Console and choose the recovery point from which to restore the database

6.      On the Select Recovery Type page, select Recover mailbox to an Exchange server database

7.      Enter the Exchange server name, Recovery Storage Group name and Database name and step through the prompts to complete the restore

8.      Mount the recovery database I.e. Mount-Database –Identity “hoex01\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database”

9.      Restore items

a)      Full mailbox restore: From the Exchange powershell run the following command

Restore-mailbox –identity username –RSGdatabase “servername\RSG name\database name”

b)      Restore mailbox contents to a folder: From the Exchange powershell run the following command

Restore-Mailbox –RSGMailbox “Mailbox to be recovered” -RSGDatabase “servername\RSG name\database name” –Identity “Mailbox to restore to” –TargetFolder “Name of Restored Mailbox Folder”

10.  Dismount the recovery database

11.  Delete the recovery storage group

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:08 AM

All replies

• We've used this process in the past to use the restored mailbox on a recovery storage group on the Exchange server, I've not tried in a recovery storage group on an alternate Exchange server. Hope this helps.

Restoring Exchange 2007 mailbox

1.      Create a restore location on the Exchange Server, I.e. d:\restore

2.      From the Exchange powershell create a recovery storage group. I.e. New-StorageGroup –Server hoex01 –Name “Recovery Storage Group” –systemFolderPath “d:\restore” –LogFolderPath “d:\restore” –Recovery

3.      Create the recovery database. I.e. New-MailboxDatabase –MailboxDatabaseToRecover “Mailbox Database Name” –StorageGroup “hoex01\Recovery Storage Group” –EDBFilePath “d:\restore\Mailbox Database.edb”

4.      Allow restore for recovery storage group. I.e. Set-MailboxDatabase -Identity "hoex01\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database" -AllowFileRestore $true

5.      Open the DPM Management Console and choose the recovery point from which to restore the database

6.      On the Select Recovery Type page, select Recover mailbox to an Exchange server database

7.      Enter the Exchange server name, Recovery Storage Group name and Database name and step through the prompts to complete the restore

8.      Mount the recovery database I.e. Mount-Database –Identity “hoex01\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database”

9.      Restore items

a)      Full mailbox restore: From the Exchange powershell run the following command

Restore-mailbox –identity username –RSGdatabase “servername\RSG name\database name”

b)      Restore mailbox contents to a folder: From the Exchange powershell run the following command

Restore-Mailbox –RSGMailbox “Mailbox to be recovered” -RSGDatabase “servername\RSG name\database name” –Identity “Mailbox to restore to” –TargetFolder “Name of Restored Mailbox Folder”

10.  Dismount the recovery database

11.  Delete the recovery storage group

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:08 AM
  • sbsitd,

Please reference the following articles, DPM role is complete once the data is on the alternate Exchange Database, from there Exchange commands will need to be used in order to restore the actual mailbox. From the Exchange side the alternate Exchange server is treated like a recovery server and is treated the same as a recovery database. Hope this helps.  Thanks

How to Recover a Database to an Alternate Database - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399358

Restoring to a Recovery Server - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa579154(v=exchg.140)

Restoring to a Recovery Database - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa579367(v=exchg.140)

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:11 AM