vista crashes while watching videos RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi i just up graded to vista only because im taking a class on it and when i play a video on windows media player it only plays sound and when i use my GOM player (vista approved) it plays for about an hour then boom bsod and the computer restarts i dont even get to see what caused the error  i checked the problems reports and got this

Problem caused by Windows

This problem was caused by Windows. This program was created by Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

However, your computer might be missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Recommendation

Install high-priority updates from the Microsoft Update website.

If you don't see any high-priority updates available, then Automatic Update has already installed them on your computer.

Use Automatic Updates to keep your computer up to date.

With Automatic Updates, you don't have to search for updates online or worry that critical fixes for Windows might be missing from your computer. Windows automatically checks for the latest important updates for your computer. Depending on the Automatic Updates settings you choose, Windows can install updates automatically or just let you know they're available.

To learn more about Automatic Updates, read Microsoft Update and other services: Frequently asked questions online.

Rate this response:Provide Feedback

but i have done this already and it didnt fix it. I am pretty techy but vista is completely new to me please help

Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:49 AM

All replies

• I am not sure about your problem.

but have you installed vista sp1 beta or RC ??

if installed then, uninstall it, and then try...

because I got problem of hanging of vista when I installed SP1 RC.

I uninstalled it and now going smooth...

I guess there is some problem in Vista SP1 RC.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:10 AM
  • Thanks for the help I found out just a couple of days ago that it was a fried main drive and ide cable

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:58 AM
  • im having the same problem at the moment.
    could you further explain the solution to it ?

thanks in advance =D
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:19 AM
  •  

Hello,

I have similar problem. When I watch movies for about 20 minutes sometimes more the computer crashes. First it shows red, green, blue lines across the screen and after one minute it restarts.

First I told there is something wrong with my hardware or the temperature of it but my CPU temperature doesn't go over 60 degrees Celsius. The GPU temperature is less than 55 degrees. Also I can play computer games on maximum details (i.e. Crysis, CnC Tiberium Wars) that put load on my hardware. I play them for 5-6 hours and the computer doesn't crash.

My desktop configuration is the following:

Motherboard:

Asus P5N-D, nVidia 750i SLI, LGA775, DDR2, 2xPCI Express, SLI, SB7.1, Lan1000, SerialATA, Raid 0,1,5, 2x1394, ATX

CPU:

Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.66GHz, 12MB, 1333MHz FSB, s775) BOX

Video:

GF GTX 260, 896MB XFX GX-260N-ADF9 PCI Express, 448bit, DDR3, 2xDVI

HDD:

Two Hard Drives: 320GB Seagate, SATA2, 7200rpm, 16MB

Memory:

G.SKILL 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

The Configuration is not Over clocked

PLEASE HELP!!!

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:46 AM
  •  Sotir Sotirov wrote:

Hello,

I have similar problem. When I watch movies for about 20 minutes sometimes more the computer crashes. First it shows red, green, blue lines across the screen and after one minute it restarts.

First I told there is something wrong with my hardware or the temperature of it but my CPU temperature doesn't go over 60 degrees Celsius. The GPU temperature is less than 55 degrees. Also I can play computer games on maximum details (i.e. Crysis, CnC Tiberium Wars) that put load on my hardware. I play them for 5-6 hours and the computer doesn't crash.

Motherboard:

Asus P5N-D, nVidia 750i SLI, LGA775, DDR2, 2xPCI Express, SLI, SB7.1, Lan1000, SerialATA, Raid 0,1,5, 2x1394, ATX

CPU:

Video:

HDD:

Memory:

PLEASE HELP!!!

My issue is strangely similar. Was this ever resolved? If so, how.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:45 PM
  •  Kozach08 wrote:
     Sotir Sotirov wrote:

Hello,

Motherboard:

CPU:

Video:

HDD:

Memory:

PLEASE HELP!!!

My issue is strangely similar. Was this ever resolved? If so, how.

Update. I un-installed SP1 which seemed to fix the issue. It ran faster for several hours, but when I attempted a reboot, it crashed in a very similar way. After this crash, it attempted to run a failed start up tool. After roughly 7 hours, it appeared to stall. The screen looked the same with no activity heard from the hard drive. At this point, the machine will not boot past the splash screen. No errors codes to report, just a black screen immediately after the Dell splash screen.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Guys,

I Had exactly the same issue i upgraded and it worked so i am duel booting to try and help i have found out what i THINK(Please take that word into consideration) is the issue, as i can see they are all high spec machines and the issue was the HD Driver on my video card when trying to play the video the minute it tries to pick up the driver (when dropped) it is crashing out because it gets confused between standard and HD drivers i uninstalled the standard driver and it work and the same with the HD driver so whichever you use most uninstall the other and try that if this is wrong i do apologize i am just going off what happened with my PC

Gavin

Friday, April 5, 2013 3:46 PM
  • To See What Codec is being Used

While playing the file right click it in the Now Playing pane and choose Properties. On the file tab will list the codecs being used. If Now Playing pane is not showing right click Now Playing on the command bar and tick Show List Pane.

Disable Codecs

Download Autoruns from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Start the program and click Options menu - Filter Options and tick Hide Microsoft entries.

If you have identified a codec from first step disable that one. Else go to the Codecs tab. Untick one by one and see if you can play the file. Restart Media Player before trying to play the file.

Media Player Fixit

Click Play games, music or sounds, pictures or video and see the Fix Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues Fixit.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Registering Media Player Components and Deleting the Database

Also try registering Media Player components and deleting the database.

Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

SC Stop WMPNetworkSvc

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mpvis.DLL"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpband.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpsyncmgr.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnssci.dll"

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpconfig.exe" /reg

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe" /reg

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpshare.exe" /reg

ren "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\*.wmdb" *.wmdb_bak

sc start WMPNetworkSvc

Blue screens are caused by faulty hardware or faulty hardware drivers.

To See if a Fix is Available

In Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Problem Reports and Solutions (type problem in Start's search box), go to Problem History, right click your error and choose Check For Solution. You may also right click and choose Details for more info. Post those details here.

To See if a Recent System Change Caused It

In Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Administrative Tools then choose Reliability and Performance Monitor and choose Monitoring Tools then Reliability Monitor (type Reliability in search on Start) . This list is a chart of software installs, uninstalls, Windows updates, and crashes by date (scroll left to see earlier dates). See if your crashes started happening after you installed or uninstalled something.

Standard Hardware Troubleshooting

First lets test what hardware we can. Hardware faults can appear as many software faults, therefore we need to test hardware first..

Please do the following in order. Memory faults can cause disk corruption, disk faults can cause disk corruption. Disk corruption causes corrupted files (which SFC may be able to fix). If you get an hardware error stop and post back. Do not run chkdsk with faulty memory.

Memory Diagnostic
    If you haven't run a memory diagnostic then please do so. Click Start - Control Panel - choose Classic View in left hand pane - choose Administrative Tools -  then Memory Diagnostics Tool.

S.M.A.R.T
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

Disk drives in Windows monitor themselves for impending failure. The feature is called S.M.A.R.T. It will detect impending failure 30% of the time. In an elevated command prompt type (it's one line)

wmic /namespace:\\root\wmi PATH MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus get active,predictfailure,reason /format:List

If it's on Active will be true, if not on turn it on in the computer's BIOS.

Predict Failure should be False if everything's ok.

In Vista and later if SMART predicts failure Windows prompts the user to run Backup.

Run Chkdsk
    In Computer right click all your drives and choose Properties, then Tools tab, then click Check Now. Tick BOTH checkboxes then Start. Reboot. This will take overnight.

SFC
    Check for file corruption by clicking Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

sfc /scannow

Heat
    Heat can cause problems like this and also sudden reboots without crashing. Ensure your fans are not clogged with dust.

For Memory Diagnostic Results
    Click Start - Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Administrative Tools then Event Viewer then look at Event Viewer (Local) - Applications and Services - Microsoft - Windows - MemoryDiagnostic-Results for entries.

Look for EventID is 1201 or 1101 and Source is MemoryDiagnostic-Results

Double click the entry for details on that entry.

For Chkdsk Results
    Click Start - Control Panel (and select Classic view in the left hand pane) choose Administrative Tools then Event Viewer then look at both the Application and System logs (under Windows Logs) for entries.

Look for EventID is 7 and Source is Disk
    Look for EventID is 11 and Source is Disk
    Look for EventID is 50 and Source is Disk
    Look for EventID is 51 and Source is Disk
    Look for EventID is 52 and Source is Disk
    Look for EventID is 55 and Source is NTFS
    Look for EventID is 130 and Source is NTFS
    Look for EventID is 134 and Source is NTFS
    Look for EventID is 137 and Source is NTFS
    Look for EventID is 1001 and Source is Autochk
    Look for EventID is 1001 and Source is Winlogon
    Look for EventID is 1001 and Source is WinInit
    Look for EventID is 1001 and Source is Chkdsk
    Look for EventID is 26212 and Source is Chkdsk
    Look for EventID is 26213 and Source is Chkdsk
    Look for EventID is 26214 and Source is Chkdsk
    Double click the entry for details on that entry.

P.S. 7 and 55 are the auto repair codes where windows repairs disk errors silently on the fly. 52 is the SMART warning.

For SFC Results
    Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log|more

This will see which files are corrupted.

To see if it did anything

findstr /c:"[SR] Repairing" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log|more

There are frequent false positives for small text files Windows uses such as desktop.ini and settings.ini. Ignore these.

Dump Files

Dump files are files containing the state of the machine when it crashed. We can analyse the file to identify the driver (or program) causing the crash. See the last section on how to get them analysed by a volunteer.

Analyse Dump Files
    If you want to analyse your own dump files.

You need to start Explorer as Administrator to access the files in C:\windows\Minidump. Right click Explorer and choose Run As Administrator.

Download and install Debugging Tools for Windows
    Install theWindows SDK but just choose the debugging tools.

Create a folder called Symbols in C:\

Start Windbg. File menu - Symbol File Path and enter

srv*C:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Close and reopen WinDbg. File menu - Open Crash Dump

This will analyse the crash dump. You need to close and reopen WinDbg for each dump file analysed. Because you are downloading symbols from the internet WinDbg will appear to be doing nothing. But it's downloading. Be patient.

You are looking for a driver or system library that the crash occurred in at the end of the listing. Find the file, right click then Properties - Details tab. If it shows a driver you'll need to update the driver identified. Most drivers are in c:\windows\system32\drivers.

Search the Drive for a File.
    Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Type replacing drivername.sys with the name of the file being searched (or copy and paste by right clicking in the Command Prompt window and choosing Paste).

dir c:\drivername.sys /a /s

If it shows a system file see if you can get a program from analyze -v.

Type in theWinDbg command prompt

!analyze -v

-v stands for Verbose and if the crash was originated by a program, as opposed to hardware or a driver, it will appear in the middle of the listing.

eg

PROCESS_NAME:  java.exe
    IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

PROCESS_NAME only appears in the analyze -v output and only if a program originated the call that faulted.

Upload Them for Analysis

Or upload the minidump files to your Public folder on Skydrive and copy the link from the address bar and I'll analyse them.

Skydrive is Microsoft's Windows Live file upload site at https://skydrive.live.com/.  Read about it at http://explore.live.com/skydrive.

If you have downloaded any of the Live applications or have a web based Live mail account you already have access to your Skydrive.

Put your event list in the Public folder and copy the link from the address bar.

--
    --
    "WingZero09" wrote in message news:959d3796-2130-43ab-8caf-2f748e28ab6d...

Hi i just up graded to vista only because im taking a class on it and when i play a video on windows media player it only plays sound and when i use my GOM player (vista approved) it plays for about an hour then boom bsod and the computer restarts i dont even get to see what caused the error  i checked the problems reports and got this

Problem caused by Windows

This problem was caused by Windows. This program was created by Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.

However, your computer might be missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Recommendation

Install high-priority updates from the Microsoft Update website.

If you don't see any high-priority updates available, then Automatic Update has already installed them on your computer.

Use Automatic Updates to keep your computer up to date.

With Automatic Updates, you don't have to search for updates online or worry that critical fixes for Windows might be missing from your computer. Windows automatically checks for the latest important updates for your computer. Depending on the Automatic Updates settings you choose, Windows can install updates automatically or just let you know they're available.

To learn more about Automatic Updates, read Microsoft Update and other services: Frequently asked questions online.

Rate this response:Provide Feedback

but i have done this already and it didnt fix it. I am pretty techy but vista is completely new to me please help

David Candy
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:43 AM