none
Applying unattend.xml with DISM.exe is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

There are some posts about this on the forum, but I was wondering if you guys could suggest what I'm doing wrong. We have many different model Dell computers that we support and I imported Dell family packs into MDT to have all the drivers. However, it seems like whenever we image, it takes a long time during the step "Applying unattend.xml with DISM.exe". Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I don't want to create a task sequence for each model for each image since it would be 30+ task sequence..Thank you :) 

Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Ty,

Sorry for not responding sooner. It looks like I was able to fix the issue. Instead of having MDT scan through all the drivers and applying matching ones, I was able to use Task Sequence Variable "DriverGroup 001" to apply drivers per model. It is going a lot faster now. 

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:47 PM

All replies

• Do you have a lot of updates imported?

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Nope, no updates at all. Just images and drivers.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:48 PM
  • One thing you could do is in WinPE while you are applying the image hit F8.  When the wizard is done you will have the command prompt up (Wizard will have exited and when you close the cmd window it will continue on).  copy X:\Windows\Logs\Dism\DISM.log to some location not on X: so you can access it later.  Let the install finish and look at the panther logs.  You should be able to tell what part is taking so long.  If you post them to something like OneDrive and share it here then I can help.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:56 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Ty!! I will post the log tomorrow.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:02 PM
  • Hi Ty,

Sorry for not responding sooner. It looks like I was able to fix the issue. Instead of having MDT scan through all the drivers and applying matching ones, I was able to use Task Sequence Variable "DriverGroup 001" to apply drivers per model. It is going a lot faster now. 

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:47 PM
  • I generally like to do that also.  If you have MANY matching drivers for a machine then and you allow the PNP they all get added and that is time consuming.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:01 PM