WSUS and delivery optmization (local only) - Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a bunch of machines pointed to my WSUS Server for updates.

I would like to enable Delivery Optimization - Local PC's Only on my machines via a reg key (Non domain).

Overall, when I look at my DO DownloadMode and change the value from 1 to 1, this does not change the delivery optimization in the GUI.

I am not sure what I am missing here?

Once again, I want machine to get updates via WSUS.. but also utilize delivery optimization. 

Eventually, I will be using WSUS for report only and have all my client's go directly to the web for updates & also utilize delivery optimization.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Thank you for posting here.
    The following thread discusses the contents of delivery optmization, which may help you: "Delivery Optimization: GPO DownloadMode Vs Registry DODownloadMode."

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 22, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Yic,

Thanks for the link, but that still leaves some questions unanswered..

I do not have a domain.

My machines are pointed to the WSUS server via reg keys.

I would like to enable 'delivery optimization - local pc's only', but when I adjust the reg keys 'DODownloadMode', I am not seeing any changed in the Windows GUI.

Also when I change the setting in the Windows GUI, I do not see any changes in the registry.

I verified with procmon that these are the keys.

Am I missing something, or is it just that changing these delivery optimization settings via reg key will not change what you see in control panel > windows updates > advanced  options > delivery optimization..?

Monday, April 22, 2019 12:15 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I read some articles about the Delivery Optimization feature, and Microsoft's article suggests specific control over the functionality of the Group Policy. I suggest you read the following article:

I actually tested, by modifying some of the policies mentioned in the article, I can really control the related functions, and I can see the adjustment results in the GUI.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:20 AM
  • Yic,

Doesn't the GPO line up with reg keys?

Overall, changing the reg keys has no effect in the changing the setting within the GUI.

I can't be the only one running into this issue..

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:28 AM
  • I had read some articles, but the registry key that controls Delivery Optimization mentioned in the article is:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config'

But in fact, I tested the adjustment of the key of the following path to achieve the Delivery Optimization function in the control GUI:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization'

The screenshot below documents the adjustment process.

However, I am not sure if this primary key is the primary key in the screenshot you provided. If it is consistent, it may be caused by other reasons.
    Please confirm and look forward to your reply.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 3:57 AM