none
Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Home Premium LCP for OEM Software RRS feed

• Question

• I received a notification that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I completed the download and started the installation.
    Then I was prompted for my Windows Anytime Upgrade key. The only key that I can find is the product key which did not work. So my question is where do I find the Windows Anytime Upgrade key?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As we all know, users could upgrade to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

In general, we needn’t to enter any key during upgrade, so, please confirm whether your system is a genuine copy and has been activated.

What’s more, one thing we need to know, have you ever used a Windows Anytime Upgrade key to upgrade system, such as upgrading to Premium version from Basic version.

If you have, please try to use that upgrade key.

About how to get a Windows Anytime Upgrade key, there is an official article can be used as a reference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-to-get-a-windows-anytime-upgrade-key

One thing we need to know, for OEM key, we could contact the manufacturer to know if the key contains the SA of system upgrade.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Windows Anytime Upgrade is for Windows 7 lower editions to upgrade to higher editions, of Windows 7 only. For example, from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

For Windows 10 upgrade, Windows Anytime Upgrade will not work. It just requires Windows 10 upgrade notifier, known as "Get Windows 10" app (you can notice in the system tray) and the upgrade doesn't require any product key, as Teemo Tang says. Once you download and start the installation, you can notice that no product key is asked anywhere in the upgrade process.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As we all know, users could upgrade to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

In general, we needn’t to enter any key during upgrade, so, please confirm whether your system is a genuine copy and has been activated.

What’s more, one thing we need to know, have you ever used a Windows Anytime Upgrade key to upgrade system, such as upgrading to Premium version from Basic version.

If you have, please try to use that upgrade key.

About how to get a Windows Anytime Upgrade key, there is an official article can be used as a reference.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-to-get-a-windows-anytime-upgrade-key

One thing we need to know, for OEM key, we could contact the manufacturer to know if the key contains the SA of system upgrade.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Windows Anytime Upgrade is for Windows 7 lower editions to upgrade to higher editions, of Windows 7 only. For example, from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate.

For Windows 10 upgrade, Windows Anytime Upgrade will not work. It just requires Windows 10 upgrade notifier, known as "Get Windows 10" app (you can notice in the system tray) and the upgrade doesn't require any product key, as Teemo Tang says. Once you download and start the installation, you can notice that no product key is asked anywhere in the upgrade process.

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, January 11, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:26 AM