On Access Scan on Read? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if Forefront Client's on-access scan, scan's on Read and write, or just read.   I am looking to install Forefront Client Security on a few servers and I was wondering if all files will be scanned while a remote backup was being performed on the system.  This would happen if Forefront performs a on-access scan performs a scan when a file is read remotely.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 2:40 PM

All replies

• technicly, the way any AV works it is just reading the files it scans and not writing so in that case, this should not be a problem

either way, I reccommend not configuring both scans and backups on the same time window. this can impact your server/client performance and can cause your backup to get "out of time window" or maybe even fail due to slow performance. as far as i've seen, FCS is the lease effecting AV on the clients regular performance so i believe that even if you do configure it like this, there is a very slim chance that this would happen. but even so, this is definitly not best practice....

Monday, June 18, 2007 8:09 PM
  •  

I have a similar question, perhaps worded differently to see if the answer is the same.  We are beginning to deploy Forefront to both our workstations and our servers.  All files are scanned for viruses when they are opened by the workstations.  Therefore from a server standpoint, we are interested in scanning for viruses only on a write operation. Since the servers are not scanning on read, the advantage here is during backups we reduce the load and increase the performance of our file servers.  We are not a massive enterprise but requiring the servers to scan 20 TB of data every weekend for files that change seldom seems unnecessary. 

I look forward to your reply

TJ

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hello!

You might consider excluding the backup application from the scanning process.  I can't remember, but that may avoid the RTP scanner looking at all the data being read and scanning it

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Thursday, September 6, 2007 2:11 PM
  • I don't think you folks are understanding the question.  I think I do because I have the same questiion.  We are also starting to deploy FEP on servers.  Used to use SEP and they had an option to not scan files while they were being backed up (read basically).  I found a similiar option (sort of) in FEP under Settings/Real Time Protection/Monitor file and program activity on your computer.  There is an option to Monitor only Incoming Files (writes).  I also checked the option to Scan all Downloads as well to just make sure nothing from the Internet comes through.  I'm hoping this will improve my backups speeds using BAckup Exec 2010 R2.  After installing either FEP or Win2k8 SP1 (not sure which broke it, both were installed on the same day), the backup speeds dropped drastically (from 450 + mb/min to 19 mb/min.  It was taking 8+ hours to back this server up. 

We'll see what happens.  I also exluded BeRemote.exe, BeDbg.exe and BeDiag.exe from being scanned as well.  Will let you know what happens tonight after the backup runs.

CJ

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:40 AM