exchange 2010 Message size Limits RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent days trying to figure how to change the default 10 MB size limit in Exchange 2010 (Ver 14.00.0694.000)

I have gone through everthing I can find.....

Exchange Message Size Limits.

Get-TransportConfig | fl MaxSendSize,MaxReceiveSize
    MaxSendSize 1.9 GB
    MaxReceiveSize 1.9 GB

Get-Adsitelink <AdSitelink> | select MaxMessageSize
    MaxMessageSize Unlimited

Get-Sendconnector "<Connectorname>" | fl Name,MaxMessageSize
    MaxMessageSize 1.9 GB

Get-Receiveconnector -Identity "<Connectorname>" | fl Name,MaxMessagesize
    MaxMessagesize 1000MB

Get-Mailbox <mailbox> | fl MaxSendSize,MaxReceiveSize
    MaxSendSize Unlimited
    MaxReceiveSize Unlimited

BUT I still get..

This message wasn't delivered to anyone because it's too large. The limit is 9 MB. This message is 34 MB.

Me@SomeDomain.com

Requested gave this error:
    SMTPSEND.OverAdvertisedSize; message size exceeds fixed maximum size

This message is larger than the size limit for messages. Please make it smaller and try sending it again.

So can someone Please tell me what am I missing???

(Note The 1.9 GB setting is only that large as I kept increasing the numbers trying to find how to to do this..Once i've got it it will be set to amore useable level. But at the moment what ever numbers I put in make no difference. It is still 10 MB).

OH and this is the ONLY Exchange server we use.

Thanks for your Time

yoR36
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Yor36,

To understand how Exchange 2010 message size quotas work I encourage you to have a look at the following article:

http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/2011/06/exchange-2010-max-message-size.html

What is the rest of the NDR error?  Are you sure it is Exchange that generated the NDR.  I suspect there your mail is being filtered by another SMTP server, either by your ISP or an internal smart host.

Can you please paste the out put of:

Get-SendConnector | fl Name,SourceTransportServers,SmartHosts

Kind Regards,

Clint Boessen MVP - Exchange Server, MCSE, MCITPx4, Dip Network Engineering
    Perth, Western Australia

Blog: http://clintboessen.blogspot.com/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:23 AM

All replies

• Thanks but I had gone through that thread, still have a 10,000 KB limit even though every where that I check it is set to 2,000,000 KB
    yoR36
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Thanks but I had gone through that thread, still have a 10,000 KB limit even though every where that I check it is set to 2,000,000 KB
    yoR36

Does it work if you send the message from OWA? Is Outlook in cache mode?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Works the Same with OWA.. Message Too Large.

yoR36
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Works the Same with OWA.. Message Too Large.

yoR36

What is the path outgoing messages take? ( I assume you are sending this outbound when you get the error?)

From the hub transports , are they then sent to a smarthost or directly to the internet? Does it fail to all domains?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Directly to the Internet..No other Servers except the receivers. And Error message is generated by My Exchange.

yoR36
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Have you got any AV or SPAM service/product running on your exch server? If yes disable this and test.

If you got any forewall on your exch server, disable and test

Sukh
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Check Exchange aware AV ( Scanmail?) or your firewall to see if any limits are applied there.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Hi Yor36,

To understand how Exchange 2010 message size quotas work I encourage you to have a look at the following article:

What is the rest of the NDR error?  Are you sure it is Exchange that generated the NDR.  I suspect there your mail is being filtered by another SMTP server, either by your ISP or an internal smart host.

Kind Regards,

Perth, Western Australia

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Yor36,

Kind Regards,

Perth, Western Australia

Thanks Clint... It was the Smart Host setup. When we first setup this Domain we had it forwarding to the old Domain and when the old Domain got taken down we missed the SmartHosts settings...

Things are now working as They should..

yoR36
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Sorry to necro this after so long but I figure it's better to use this than start a whole new discussion.

I'm having roughly the same problem as the OP.  Our message size limits are set to 25MB across the board, but messages around 18MB will fail with a message size limit exceeded error, and messages around 14MB will work fine.  We don't have any proxy or application level firewall to set limits on attachment size and we run our own mail servers.  I also checked our SendConnector SmartHosts and they all point to the correct servers.  Is this perhaps a bug, or is something else missing?

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:53 PM
  • On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:53:39 +0000, PWC-Ryanb wrote:

>
    >
    >Sorry to necro this after so long but I figure it's better to use this than start a whole new discussion.
    >
    >I'm having roughly the same problem as the OP. Our message size limits are set to 25MB across the board, but messages around 18MB will fail with a message size limit exceeded error, and messages around 14MB will work fine. We don't have any proxy or application level firewall to set limits on attachment size and we run our own mail servers. I also checked our SendConnector SmartHosts and they all point to the correct servers. Is this perhaps a bug, or is something else missing?

Is that really the message size, or is it the size of the attachment
    _before_ it was base64-encoded and grew by 30% - 40% as a result?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Is that really the message size, or is it the size of the attachment
    _before_ it was base64-encoded and grew by 30% - 40% as a result?

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

It's the size of the attachment but I can't imagine the message is much bigger since these are just test messages with nothing but blank text and some attachments to test the message size limits.  I did some more testing today:

With a 28MB limit I tried sending a 20MB attachment and it worked.  With a 27MB limit the exact same message failed.  I am also testing this by sending from gmail (which has its own 25MB limit so I don't know how it could possibly exceed our exchange server 28MB limit).  I started to suspect it had something to with file compression but

1) That doesn't make sense and

2) I confirmed it was not the issue by sending some uncompressed files barely under the limit and seeing it fail, then sending the same files compressed to well below the limit and it worked.  Like I said it wouldn't make sense for this to be the issue anyway, but worth noting since I did test it.

So what I have noted is that the limits are actually working to some extent: raising and lowering them does change the message size limits, but the actual numbers are not accurate whatsoever.  We can't be the only ones to have run into this problem...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:49 PM
  • On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:49:42 +0000, PWC-Ryanb wrote:

>Is that really the message size, or is it the size of the attachment _before_ it was base64-encoded and grew by 30% - 40% as a result? --- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    >--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    >
    >It's the size of the attachment but I can't imagine the message is much bigger since these are just test messages with nothing but blank text and some attachments to test the message size limits.

An 18MB attachment will grow to between 23.4 and 25.2MB once it's
    base64-encoded.

I did some more testing today:
    >
    >With a 28MB limit I tried sending a 20MB attachment and it worked. With a 27MB limit the exact same message failed.

That's not surprising.

>I am also testing this by sending from gmail (which has its own 25MB limit so I don't know how it could possibly exceed our exchange server 28MB limit). I started to suspect it had something to with file compression but

If the sender is is using ESMTP you shold check you SMTP protocol log.
    You'll probably see the message size in the MAIL FROM command. That's
    calculated by the sender. If it's larger than the value in your
    servers ESMTP "SIZE" keyword your server will reject the message.

>1) That doesn't make sense and

It will if you stop guessing and start looking at the SMTP protocol
    logs. :-)

>2) I confirmed it was not the issue by sending some uncompressed files barely under the limit and seeing it fail, then sending the same files compressed to well below the limit and it worked. Like I said it wouldn't make sense for this to be the issue anyway, but worth noting since I did test it.
    >
    >So what I have noted is that the limits are actually working to some extent: raising and lowering them does change the message size limits, but the actual numbers are not accurate whatsoever. We can't be the only ones to have run into this problem...

You're not the only one to not understand what casues this to happen,
    but it's not a problem once you do.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Keep in mind, if you set your limit to 28mb, that 27mb is actually 27,000,000 x 1024 = 27658000000. This may exceed your warning threshold, not your limit threshold. When calculating for storage usage always take the 28 for example and multiply it by 1024. Enter that exact # and you will increase all thresholds. 

Now to my problem:

I can send files of any size ( I am the domain admin). via OWA. However when a customer using SMTP (external link to one of our websites). It doesn't allow any files over 6 MB in size. OWA works, now direct SMTP.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Hi,

See if have done something. The limit for receiving messages is 20 MB, send an email with 15 MB attachment and empty body. The server there returns the error message, shall be attached, stating that contains 21 MB.

When you send an email with an attachment of 14 MB gets there by checking the message apparently has 14 MB. As acrescesse 06 MB in messages.

Someone has gone through a similar situation?

thanks

Atenciosamente, Luiz Sérgio Pinheiro

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:15 PM
  • On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:15:39 +0000, Luiz Sérgio wrote:

>Hi, See if have done something. The limit for receiving messages is 20 MB, send an email with 15 MB attachment and empty body. The server there returns the error message, shall be attached, stating that contains 21 MB. When you send an email with an attachment of 14 MB gets there by checking the message apparently has 14 MB. As acrescesse 06 MB in messages. Someone has gone through a similar situation? thanks

The base64 encoding of the message increases the size by approximately
    40%. A 15MB attachment would therefore be 15*1.4=21 MB.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Rich,

Thanks. Solved.

Atenciosamente, Luiz Sérgio Pinheiro

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:38 PM