Static noise when call is transferred. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I wonder if anyone had this problem. We have a very laud static noise when the call is transferred and someone picked up the phone.  Only the caller has that static noise.  The person who picked up the phone can hear everything and does not have any problems.

This is the only time when we have this issue.

Anyone?

Thank you. 

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:22 AM

Answers

•  

What is the behaviour with Gateway Setup with TLS conenction and SRTPMode on trunck set to not supported ?
    Set-CsTrunkConfiguration -SRTPMode NotSupported.

-Santosh

• Proposed as answer by Adminiuga Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Monday, October 31, 2011 2:05 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:11 AM
  • the problem indeed could be SRTP related. when you switch to TCP lync disables SRTP even if trunk configuration has srtpmode set to required.

It is recommended to use TLS and. SRTP because then you can benefit from media bypass. Without SRTP, media bypass would not kick in even if you enable it, unless you disable srtp requirement for client media (set-csmediaconfiguration)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:45 PM

All replies

• Does this happen in Lync to Lync calls, or PSTN to Lync? If PSTN to Lync, what media gateway are you using?

Luke

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:52 AM
  • HI,

are you getting this problem when you transfer the call from Lync client to another? or to some out side device such as a PBX extension?

are you getting this problem in all the users or just 1 or 2 users only? and ayr you experiancing this on Lync Client or any Hardware device involved?

If your getting this problem when your using a Hardware device (IP Phone) try the same by using Lync Client to narrow down the problem.

Thamara. 

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Hello,

The only time when we have this issue when external (not office user) calls and is being transferred to another external phone number.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:32 PM
  • your reffering to is a consultation transfer method. it means that you get this problem only when the PSTN is involved. In that case you may check this in Gateway side. Seems to be some fine tuning of the configuration.

Thamara.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I am working with Gateway support and they are telling me that everything is configured correctly.

Another peace of puzzle.  Gateway support told me that they wanted to see logs.  They cannot see call logs when the protocol is setup as TLS because it is encrypted.  They recommended me to switch to TCP and collect logs.  But when I switched the Mediation server to use TCP instead of TLS, everything works.

So, it means that the problem is only when call from external caller is being transferred to external phone number and protocol is setup to TLS.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Do you have a requirement do have TLS for Mediation server and gateway connection? most of the cases the connection is made by using TCP. some time TLS makes wired problems.

Thamara.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:09 AM
  • We do not have requirements to use TLS.  We do not have any requirements for Lync yet.  We just installed it and I thought that TLS is recommended.

What problems could be created by TLS?  I have never heard about any TLS problems.

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:17 AM
  • There should not be any problem with TLS but the configuration from the gateway is more complicated than the TCP. So most of the instances, it's better to use TCP unless if there's any special Requirement.

Thamara.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:00 AM
  •  

What is the behaviour with Gateway Setup with TLS conenction and SRTPMode on trunck set to not supported ?
    Set-CsTrunkConfiguration -SRTPMode NotSupported.

-Santosh

• Proposed as answer by Adminiuga Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:35 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:11 AM
  • the problem indeed could be SRTP related. when you switch to TCP lync disables SRTP even if trunk configuration has srtpmode set to required.

It is recommended to use TLS and. SRTP because then you can benefit from media bypass. Without SRTP, media bypass would not kick in even if you enable it, unless you disable srtp requirement for client media (set-csmediaconfiguration)

Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:45 PM