Can't add clock gadget to desktop - SOLVED! RRS feed

• General discussion

• My clock gadget was missing from the desktop for some time (I accidentally uninstalled it). I searched this site and tried most of the suggested remedies like:

1) Right clicking the desktop and going to "View" to see if there was a check mark next to "Show desktop gadgets", yes the check mark was there.

2) Making sure that User Account Control (UAC) was NOT set to lowest setting, mine was set at 3/4.

3) Check in "Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off" and make sure that there is a check mark next to "Windows Gadget Platform". The check mark was there.

4) Hit the Windows key and type in "Gadgets", choose "Restore desktop gadgets installed with Windows". This brought back the clock in the Gadget Gallery BUT I could not drag it out of the Gallery nor could I right click the clock and choose "Add".

THIS IS WHAT WORKED.

I went to "Control Panel - Display" and I reset the text and item scaling back to "Smaller - 100% (default).

This worked, I now have 10+ clocks on the desktop (the ones that I've been trying to drag out of the Gallery). To double check, I reset the scaling back to 125% and all of the gadgets were messed up again, I switched back and everything is good to go.

• Changed type Yolanda Zhu Monday, May 26, 2014 6:08 AM
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 6:08 AM
  • Wow! Yep that worked. I had about 15 clocks on my desktop after I reset to Smaller. Thanks for the Help.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:03 PM
  • This only helps if "smaller" text is acceptable.  How about a real solution?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:09 AM
  • Perfect!, Thanks!
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Thank you so much! This worked and yes, some of us are still using Win 7. 
    Monday, July 23, 2018 8:34 PM