none
EWS Access Test fails?

Question

• Hi Experts,

We are having this below EWS Access Test result for our SBS 2011 server. Can you advise what are the things to check to get this working? I tried to Google this error but Im really clueless at the moment.  Please help!

Thank You,

Arnel  

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

I enabled back TLS 1.0, 3DES cipher and installed .Net framework 4.5.1 on the SBS 2011 and its now passing the EWS access test! :D  Not sure which one solves the issue exactly though cause I did them all at once. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

Arnel

• Marked as answer by Noctis0791 Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:06 AM
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Arnel,

Please check if there is any EWS related event error in our Exchange server. If there are any error messages there, please post the error messages to your next reply.

If we are facing any issue when we use our Exchange server? Such as free/busy and OOF?

Please use the following command to check the settings of EWS virtual directory. You may provide us with it for further analysis.

Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | FL

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Hi Niko,

See below for the Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | FL command.  Note that I have masked the domain for security purposes.  

As for the errors, I filtered the application logs to only show MSExchange Web Services errors and Im seeing 3 Certs that appears to be expired causing these errors to show up.  Does it mean MSExchange Web Services are still using these expired certs?  How can we make MSExchange Web Services to use the non-expired SSL Cert?

Thank You!

Arnel

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:29 PM
  • By the way, the SBS 2011 server only has a Positive SSL Cert (from NameCheap) installed at the moment and we don't have the autodiscovery working because of this.  Does the Exchange Web Services rely on a working Autodiscovery?

Thank You,

Arnel

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Hi Arnel,

I checked the settings of your EWS VD and I did not find any misconfiguration.

According to the Event error, it looks like a certificate issue in your organization. You check if we have assign the necessary services to the certificate. Such as IIS and STMP. In addition, please check in the IIS and make sure we are using the right certificate:

Moreover, EWS information can be returned by Autodiscover, however we can also manually specify EWS URL. SO EWS do not rely on Autodiscover service. Since Autodiscover is not work in our Exchange server. When we perform the EWS test, please make sure we do not use Autodiscover to detect server setting. We should specify Exchange Web Services URL manually:

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Hi Niko,

Yeah, services (IIS, SMTP, POP and IMAP) have been assigned to this cert in Exchange.  Also,  this cert has been binded to https in IIS for the Default Website. As for those options, yeah Ive been using Specify Exchange Web Services URL during my tests.  The reason for me wondering if its tied to Autodiscover service was because I also have an access to an Exchange 2016 (with Autodiscover working) and this server is passing the EWS access test regardless of the option (Specify the EWS URL or not).  Below is what Im getting when accessing the EWS URL of the  SBS2011 and the EXCH2016.  Can you check if there is something wrong with the XML page that Im getting for SBS2011?  

EXCH2016

SBS2011

Thank You!

Arnel

Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:04 PM
  • Hi Arnel,

I have checked the XML page and also compared it with my Exchange 2010 lab. We did not find any issue with the XML page of SBS2011.

We suggest you can enable Autodiscover in your environment and check if this error persists. This could also help us analyze if this issue is related with Autodiscover.

In addition, as I mentioned in my previous reply. We suggest you confirmed if we have any issue when we use Exchange server. Such as free/busy and OOF? If everything works well in our organization, I think we could kindly ignore this test error. Since we have checked and confirmed that is no issue with the xml file and EWS VD settings.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Monday, April 9, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Thanks Niko.  Appreciate you checking the VD and the XML file.  Aside from Audodiscover not working forcing us to still configure the accounts manually in Outlook, OOF doesn't work in Outlook as well.  We are just advising users to configure their OOF in OWA at the moment.  I think this started to stop working when we disable TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 on this SBS 2011 as part of being HIPAA compliance.

Do you think having TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 disabled is causing the OOF and EWS to not work?

Thank You!

Arnel

Monday, April 9, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Hi Arnel,

Based on my research, it is not recommended to disable TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 on Exchange 2010 server. Please try to enable them and check if this issue persists.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Hi Nick,

I enabled back TLS 1.0, 3DES cipher and installed .Net framework 4.5.1 on the SBS 2011 and its now passing the EWS access test! :D  Not sure which one solves the issue exactly though cause I did them all at once. 

Thanks a lot for your help!

Arnel

• Marked as answer by Noctis0791 Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:06 AM
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Hi Arnel,

Glad you solved the issue, and thanks for your sharing.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Monday, April 16, 2018 1:44 AM