none
DPM 2010 Physical Bare Metal Recovery to VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am wondering if there is a way to restore a Bare Metal backup of a phycial server to a VM for DR? I can't find an answer. I am trying to develop a fast DR plan. Any input is appreciated.

Tareef

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:02 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:08 AM

Answers

• Yes this should work without any issues. The only requirement is that the recovery target machine should have atleast same/more disk resources(in number of disks as well as in their sizes) to recover than the backed-up machine disks. Also it should have same CPU type as the backed-up server.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:50 AM

All replies

• Yes this should work without any issues. The only requirement is that the recovery target machine should have atleast same/more disk resources(in number of disks as well as in their sizes) to recover than the backed-up machine disks. Also it should have same CPU type as the backed-up server.
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 11:50 AM
  • What about Bare Metal restore to different hardware. IE Backup from a HP DL360 G5 restored to a HP DL380 G6?
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Bump! :)
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

This should work as Praveen said as long as it has the same or greater disk then all is good.

The Bare metal restore is basically a restore of the drives followed by the systemstate as far as i understand it.

I am however unsure (though i suspect not) if this is only the case for Vista and newer os due to there hardware independance.

Regards,

Allan.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Hello All,

I am wondering if there is a way to restore a Bare Metal backup of a phycial server to a VM for DR? I can't find an answer. I am trying to develop a fast DR plan. Any input is appreciated.

Tareef

Is there any documentation on how you should perform a bare metal restore from a Physical to a VM?

I have successfully restored to a VM. But the VM blue screens on boot. 

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Bump! :)
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Did you get this resolved? I think you have to tell the restored system to do a redetection of the HAL. I have this info somewhere, but can't find it right now :-(
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Bump:

looking for instructions on how to restore from physical server to virtual, and from a virtual to a physical.

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:23 PM
  • It depends on that the blue screen is.  That will drive wether or not you can do it with a given image.  With WSB, when you put the image back, it should be detecting the HAL type so as long as you are targeting the same processor type (number of procs shouldn't be a factor), then it will work.  It also will detect the hard drives and controllers.

So, what is the blue screen you are getting?  If it is a stop 0x0000007b, then it is simply not detecting your controller correctly.  Anything else would need to be looked at.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, December 17, 2010 5:58 PM

As an FYI, it isn't a bare metal restore if the processors need to be the same. That essentially means you have to restore it to the same server make/model. a true bare metal restore allows you to go from an intel processor to a AMD, or from a xeon to a pentium, or from a physical server to a VM, which has been a major fail in every case that i have tried.

If you guys want to see what a true bare metal restore should look and work like, look at Acronis's products. with that product i can restore from a physical server to a VM with no problem at all. I can go from a VM to a physical server, and restore images between physical servers that are completely different.

I was looking at DPM because it was half the price. However after extensive testing it appears to only have half the capabilities too. So i guess i'm sticking with Acronis for the time being.

when it is advertised as a bare metal restore capability, there should be an * there that says (*well sometimes - assuming the processors are the same)

Friday, December 17, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Yeah I agree Zack.  This is a major shortcoming of DPM.  I've tried a BMR to dissimilar hardware with both primary and backup machines using Intel technology and adequate disk space and it fails on boot.  So this may work in certain scenarios but in my experience should not be trusted unless you test first.  Acronis or Shadow Protect by StorageCraft provide true bare metal restore but you pay for what you get (and even with those vendors, they stipulate you may need to manually add a driver to make it work).  Overall, I like DPM 2010 way more than 2007 but it has a ways to go to catch the features of Acronis or StorageCraft.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:32 PM
  • I have found that Acronis restore is great, but the backup process gets worse as the upgrade. DPM seems to be very consistent and efficient with the recover. I have found that I can restore a DPM BMR to any hardware then boot to an acronis boot CD Version 11 and click "Apply universal restore" to strip out all the drivers.  Works like a champ and costs less since I only need one license to get the CD.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Joe,

What version of Acronis are you using to create the boot CD?

Friday, January 13, 2012 7:22 PM