none
Dictation Not Showing Up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

One of my users recently asked about dictation in office apps.  I found it and enabled it on my machine by simply turning on Office Intelligent Services.  However on his machine the icon does not appear.

I checked his outlook and he has automatic updates turned on, so its the latest version.

I am in the Insider group, so is the feature perhaps not available yet for non-insiders?

Thank you

PS.  May have just figured it out.  His machine didn't have the windows update 1803 installed.  I am getting him to install it now to see if it fixes the issue.  I will report back :) 
    • Edited by Wayne_Singh Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Wayne,

How is everything going now? As far as I know, it doesn't matter the Windows version. To use Dictation, you need to meet some requirements:

1. Dictate requires an Office 365 subscription. If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office.

2. Currently, it's an English-only features and is limited to US markets. If you're a subscriber and don't see Dictate, it might not be available in your location or your application's proofing language is not English.

3. Dictate is one of the Office Intelligent Services. Make sure that the "Enable services" option under File > Options > General > Office intelligent services is enable. Otherwise, the Dictate button will not display.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

How is everything going now? As far as I know, it doesn't matter the Windows version. To use Dictation, you need to meet some requirements:

1. Dictate requires an Office 365 subscription. If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office.

2. Currently, it's an English-only features and is limited to US markets. If you're a subscriber and don't see Dictate, it might not be available in your location or your application's proofing language is not English.

3. Dictate is one of the Office Intelligent Services. Make sure that the "Enable services" option under File > Options > General > Office intelligent services is enable. Otherwise, the Dictate button will not display.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

1 and 3 are definitely correct, I have sent an email to him asking about point 2.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Ok i went through each of these Steve and still no luck on his machine.  Is there anything else you can think of?

I did noticed under his proofing languages he has 3, English (Australia), English (United States) and Portuguese (Brazil).  I only have English (Australia).  AU is his default.  Could having multiple make a difference?

Region is Australia, the same as mine.

I downloaded and ran the Office 365 Installer to make sure his office was up to date.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:05 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Does the user have and sign in with a valid MSA or Org ID? In theory, to see the feature, you must be a subscriber, have a valid MSA or Org ID, and enable Office intelligent services. If all of those requirements are met and you should see this button.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:42 AM
  • Yes mate, he logs into an Office365 account and a local AD account and Office Intelligent Services are on.  I have another user with the same issue.  Is Microsoft still in the process of rolling this out?  That would at least explain why some can see it and others cant.
    Sunday, July 1, 2018 9:59 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this still in the process. This feature was released in Version 1805 (Build 9330.2087). However, I just found that in my other Office 365 environment which Outlook has been updated to Version 1806, I still cannot see the Dictation button. This feature does show up when I join the Insider plan and update my Office.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Thank you Steve.  So its not just me then :)

We are going to install this on one of the machines and see how that goes as a work around for now.

https://dictate.ms/

How do we report this as a possible issue and get MS to look into it?
    • Edited by Wayne_Singh Wednesday, July 4, 2018 1:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 4, 2018 1:46 AM
  • I have this same issue. I am a 365 subscriber and my updates are current and the intelligent services is enabled.  Still do not see a microphone icon anywhere. 
    Monday, August 6, 2018 1:06 PM
  • I am on version 1809 with build 10827.20181 and on Monthly Channel.  I still cannot get my microphone to show up anywhere.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Any luck with this?

I have machines with Win10 1803 Education, Office 365 1809, Intelligent Services enabled, and the Dictation simply will not show up.

It's there on a bunch of our machines, but not others.  I have users that require this and we're going to have to go buy something else instead because I can't make it appear.  Clean imaged machines are having this issue, there must be something more to the requirements than are being listed here.

Monday, November 26, 2018 7:33 PM
  • i am having a similar issue, cant find the microphone/dictation wont show.

my outlook is 1808 

also how did you mange to change to Monthly Channel from semi -annual. channel

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:29 AM
  • i am having a similar issue, cant find the microphone/dictation wont show.

my outlook is 1808 

also how did you mange to change to Monthly Channel from semi -annual. channel

Try this to change channels

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-update-channels-for-office-365-proplus

Also this

https://www.msoutlook.info/question/office-update-channels

• Edited by Wayne_Singh Monday, December 3, 2018 11:08 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2018 11:03 PM
  • <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="19" id="19">Hi</g> All and Microsoft if you are reading. 

I do not see any resolution to this issue. We have so many users who do not see the Dictation button in <g class="gr_ gr_93 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="93" id="93">word</g>.  @Microsoft You have a feature here that can be so useful for so many. Why oh why are we struggling to get it turned on!  I never have this issue with any new Apple feature on my phone. Why should we suffer from our Windows 10 and Office 365? 

We have all indicated to you that we have correct settings turned on. So can you make it clear what we have to do in order to see the new feature OR provide a patch for us to <g class="gr_ gr_789 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="789" id="789">run.</g> 

Monday, January 21, 2019 11:09 AM
  • Same problem, slightly different setup.  Office Business subscription (actually multiple ones), Version 1901, Build 11231.20130, in case relevant).  Installed the garage dictate.ms file, wasn't told to restart (though will try, as soon as I can close all the stuff I have open), so assumed that it would work upon launch of program.  Intelligent services enabled.  As noted, really frustrating where instructions that are available are followed, and nothing seems to happen (while people clearly indicating they are all having same problem).
    • Proposed as answer by txrussianguy Monday, February 25, 2019 8:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by txrussianguy Monday, February 25, 2019 8:45 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 8:43 PM
  • for whatever it's worth, was able to add the dictation icon to ribbon, but doesn't do anything beyond that.  (at least for my setup), went in Word to Options, Customize Ribbon, instead of Popular Commands (default), selected "All Commands", scrolled to Dict, on right side created group under Home tab (it told me I had to create a custom group to add dictation).  Wouldn't let me rename it (from "New Group"), nor use the dictate menu, or dictate button (both of which I added to this group.  If that gets anyone part of the way, and their setup enables the actual buttons, then let us know what you have that's different.  Again, the ribbon issue was problem 1 for me.  Now getting the buttons to work would be great.  Used the dictation in Word online (which makes obvious the fact that it's not a subscription issue), and it worked incredibly.  Sure wish as requested by others, MS would opine on what's wrong with all our methods, to where this great wrist saver is not working in desktop mode.
    Monday, February 25, 2019 8:52 PM
  • I asked our IT helpdesk back in January to turn on Office dictation for me, but they were not able to.  Then it just appeared one day and I had use of 'dictation' from the icon on  ribbon of my hometab in Word (version 1808 Build 10730.20304) for a couple of months .  I am not in any Insiders group that I'm aware of, and have automatic updates turned on.  Then Last week I have recently had our IT helpdesk 'clean' my laptop as there were a few corrupted files.  The dictation icon has now disappeared and enabling 'office intelligence' per  above hasn't brought  it back.  My local IT helpdesk tells me there is nothing I can  do to bring it back, but just to wait for updates to automatically occur in the background.  - ???

Tried trussianguy's advice to add icon to ribbon, even though unworkable, but could not scroll to 'dict' as only 'dictionary' is in list.

Instead I have been using the dictation add-in, but less satisfactory as it takes more clicks to get it going, and then can't see the icon for quick switch-off or see it operating whilst recording, without additional clicks.

Length of recording  time: Dictation add-in stops recording after about 4 minutes without warning or notification.  Because there is lagtime in text appearing, it isn't clear when the recording has actually stopped, which is causing alot of hassle and huge amounts of time. At least  my previous opportunity to use the proper (non add-in) dictation from icon in Word hometab, let me record for a bit longer (maybe 10 min?)and also gave me a big red X to clearly show when  it stopped.   I understand the data no longer needs to travel via internet to server and back as it once did to turn the speech into text; so I would expect alot more than 4 or 10 minutes recording time.   I need about 45 minutes!

Any advice?

ANy advice on either getting the proper icon

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Can't understand how this is still an issue.  Desktop office apps are mostly not getting Dictation function for our organization.  It's there sometimes, but usually not.  Licensing all works correctly, it's available online, but it's available only intermittently on desktop.

Microsoft support is completely worthless on the topic, just keep going in circles about checking if the user is properly licensed and claiming they've never heard of anything like this before despite the internet being full of these reports since it launched nearly a year ago now.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:54 PM
  • just as an update this is still an issue for us almost a year later.  So updates have not fixed this problem.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 5:25 AM
  • Just confirming that I have the same issue, using Office 365 Personal at Home and 365 ProPlus at work.

The work laptop (365 ProPlus) has dictation and works fine and I know for sure I had it on my personal laptop (365 Personal) previously because my son used it several times (instead of typing) for his school projects.  It has disappeared off the Home ribbon and does not show up in the commands when you try customise the ribbon.

I definitely have the latest update installed, checked it again today, but no luck!

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:54 PM
  • I have tried it all and it will not show up. I have a disability and really need it.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 4:06 PM