AutoCAD 2000 Architectural Desktop 3 installation in Windows 7 64 bit Professional RRS feed

• General discussion

• How to get AutoCAD 2000 to install on a Windows 7 64 bit operating system.  The problem we were having was with the forced installation of Netmeeting from the AutoCAD installation disc.  Our solution at the time was to install AutoCAD on the Windows Virtual XP.  The XP mode created more problems than we were able to ignore because the XP mode is very watered down and does support proper graphics for the drafting software.  We decided to try another approach.  Take the AutoCAD 2000 installation disc (Architectural Desktop release 3 in our case, which is based on AutoCAD 2000) and create an ISO image of the disc.  I used MagicISO because it allowed me to make the image, and delete the folder for Netmeeting from the ISO image.  I believe it is under Support\NM in the ISO image.  Once the NM folder is deleted from your ISO image, burn the image onto a new disc.  It will fit onto a 700mb disc.  Then proceed with the installation of AutoCAD onto your Windows 7 machine.  It worked great for me, but my colleague is still having problems.  We suspect it is because he is still using the Beta version of Windows 7 64.  I am using the full Windows 7 64 Professional version.  We will be getting the full version for my colleague and trying the installation again.  Also, my colleague tells me there is a work around to get the express tools installed.  Keep checking back, we will be updating as we get new info.

Cheers,
    James
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hey, James, Thanks for the Helpful Information!  I too have bought a new Laptop with Win7 64bit, and was having trouble loading Autocad 2000.  I will try your solution tonight.

Thanks Again,
    Paul in Louisville Kentucky.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Excellent.  Please let us know about your experience.  Best, James

Monday, December 21, 2009 8:38 PM
  • LOADING EXPRESS TOOLS IN AUTOCAD 2000 IN WINDOWS 7 64 BIT SYSTEM:

1.  The installation (setup.exe) for Express tools 1-9 will not work in Windows 7.  It has compatibility issues.  You will have to manually install the files and load them in Autocad manually.
    2.  Copy the Express folder from your previously installed setup.  I grabbed the folder from my autocad folder (program files\autocad\express) from my old Windows XP machine.  If you only have one machine, burn a CD before you install Windows 7.  You will need one more file to make the express tools work.  It is located in: program file\autocad\support\acettest.fas.
    3.  When you are ready to install the express tools, copy the express folder to your program files\autocad\express.  Then copy acettest.fas to your support folder.
    4.  Open Autocad.  Use MENULOAD and load: program files\autocad\express\acetmain.mnc.  Use APPLOAD and load: all files in express folder (.fas; .arx; .lsp).
    5.  APPLOAD support\acettest.fas.
    6.  Type EXPRESSTOOLS in the command line.
    7.  Restart autocad, and express tools should be installed.

Cheers,
    James

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:49 PM
  • I am now trying to install the AEC Details 3 program from the installation disc.  There is a compatibility issue (and I have tried Windows 7 amazing compatibility troubleshooter...).  I am not sure if it is because I am using a 64 bit version of Windows 7 or it may just be Windows 7 in general.  I have tried copying all the associated files from AEC Details 3 folder from my virtual XP install directory and manually loading the menu files and lisp files.  No luck.  I am getting an error message:
    ; error: no function definition: CR_MNL
    Command: sdsk Unknown command "SDSK".  Press F1 for help

I have tried to track down the MNL files, but nothing is leading me to a solution.

Any suggestions out there??

Best,
    James
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:10 PM
  • In my attempt to install Details 3, I uninstalled ADT3 because I thought I needed the program to be installed into "Program Files" and not "Program Files (x86)".  After further investigation, I learned the Details 3 installation is modifying the registry and adding keys, etc...  I do not have the time or patience now to figure out how to manual install Details 3.
    Reintalling AutoCAD Desktop 3 (AutoCAD 2000)
    When I was reinstalling ADT3, I found out that it would not install into Program Files.  Even though I changed the installation directory, the program went into Program Files (x86).  I also found out that there were a few failed attmepts to installing ADT3 on my second go around.  After many attempts, I chose Custom during installation, and removed all the unnecessary installation junk that I do not use (you may be able to do a Full installation with methods below.  I have not tested it).  Even though I removed the Metric Content, Metric D ACH Content, Internet Tools, Texture Maps, Samples, Tutorials, Dictionaries, and Batch Plotting; I still received a failed installation.  During one of my previous un-installs (using un-install feature from installation disk), I noticed there was a choice to reinstall AutoCAD.  So after my failed installation, I clicked on setup.exe from the disk, and chose re-install.  It worked, and now I have my AEC content installed.  I suspect if I ever needed the tools I chose not to install during custom installation then I could add them from the disk.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:27 PM
  • James,
    I tried your solution, but am having trouble. I downloaded MagicISO and tried to create the ISO. I made an ISO file.  But my problem is...

1. I can't find the NetMeeting file you talked about. (to remove)
    2. I went ahead and made a ISO file and burned it to a CD,?(just to see if I could) but How do you install from an ISO?
    3. I'm a bit green when it comes to working with ISO files.

Could you give me some pointers.
    Paul
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:26 PM
  • James,
    I tried your solution, but am having trouble. I downloaded MagicISO and tried to create the ISO. I made an ISO file.  But my problem is...

1. I can't find the NetMeeting file you talked about. (to remove)
    2. I went ahead and made a ISO file and burned it to a CD,?(just to see if I could) but How do you install from an ISO?
    3. I'm a bit green when it comes to working with ISO files.

Could you give me some pointers.
    Paul

1.  Open the ISO file with MagicISO.  Look for folder \Support\nm.  Remove the "nm" folder.
    2.  Go ahead and install the software with Full/complete installation.  The installation may fail on you near the end.  If it fails....
    3.  Put your install disc back in the drive (the one you burned), and choose uninstall from the menu.  After it unistalls, reboot your machine.
    4.  Now put the disc back in again, and redo your full/complete installation.  It should work this time.  (We have done these steps about 5 times on 2 seperate machines to verify it works becuase we have many machines that need to transition at some point...)  If it fails a second time, try steps 3-4 again.  If it fails a third time, let me know...

Note: We have not been able to install the Details 3 program that comes with ADT3.  There is a 64-bit conflict that will most likely not be able to be resolved.  Therefor we are keeping a version installed on the VirtualXP mode.

thanks for your feedback...

-James
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:58 PM
  • hi james
     downloaded magiciso and took image or disk, but now i cant seem to open the magiciso copy of disk.
    please excuse my ignorance on these matters, as i'm not too clever on the computer

cheers
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:31 PM
  • hi paul1972

how did you get on, it didn't work for me
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi James,

I am also having the problem of not being able to install onto windows 7. I followed your instruction and have not been able to get it to work properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times from the newly created disk (without the nm files). It always fails the installation.

It seams to install the standard AutoCAD 2000 portion but not the ADT features.

Any ideas.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about modifying programs if I'm given instructions. I was ably to follow the instructions to get AutoCAD Architecture 2008 install on my laptop but i need this for some of my older long term projects that were started years ago and I do not want to have to update all the old drawings and bring them up to 2008.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks for what you have done so far.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:10 PM
  • I am using Autocad 2000 with the Windows 7 professional virtual xp.  All seems well except for a curser-crosshairs issue.  The curser remains and is superimposed over
    the crosshairs.  I installed Autocad without issue from the CD.  Have successfully completed several drawings. 

Charlie
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I am using Autocad 2000 with the Windows 7 professional virtual xp.  All seems well except for a curser-crosshairs issue.  The curser remains and is superimposed over
    the crosshairs.  I installed Autocad without issue from the CD.  Have successfully completed several drawings. 

Charlie

This is true.  You can install AutoCAD 2000 in Windows Virtual XP.  There are some graphics quirks and some AEC issues that we couldn't get past...

-James
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi James,

I am also having the problem of not being able to install onto windows 7. I followed your instruction and have not been able to get it to work properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times from the newly created disk (without the nm files). It always fails the installation.

It seams to install the standard AutoCAD 2000 portion but not the ADT features.

Any ideas.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about modifying programs if I'm given instructions. I was ably to follow the instructions to get AutoCAD Architecture 2008 install on my laptop but i need this for some of my older long term projects that were started years ago and I do not want to have to update all the old drawings and bring them up to 2008.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks for what you have done so far.

Did you try the re-install feature from the disk before you uninstalled the program?  What do you mean by ADT features?  You should have the AEC tools, but the additional program called "Details" will not install becuase the migration assistant fails during installation.  This is what I explained (maybe poorly) in the post on Dec. 28 (see above).
    Let me know if you are still having problems.

-James
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:49 PM
  • hi james
     downloaded magiciso and took image or disk, but now i cant seem to open the magiciso copy of disk.
    please excuse my ignorance on these matters, as i'm not too clever on the computer

cheers

I think you will need the full version of MagicISO before you can modify and re-burn the ISO.  Get the full version, and try again.

-James
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 6:52 PM
  • James

I tried your advice but now it is saying the registry key is missing. any suggestions? The most frustrating part of this is that I literally upgraded to Windows 7 3 days before trying to install the program! I should have done more research! Grrrrr

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:01 AM
  • We just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 and it's 64 bit.  When we try to install AutoCAD 2000 it says that it's not compatible and to see if the software company has a 64 bit version.

We tried creating a disc with MagicISO and there was no NM file to be found.

HELP,please!

Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Copy all dir. from disc(AUTOCAD 2000-2009) on D: partition put in one folder, e right click .exe >comp.mode> Xp with SERVICE PACK 3>apply and OK.

I use Win7 Pro work etc.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Try this one.

Copy all dir. from disc(AUTOCAD 2000-2009) on D: partition put in one folder, e right click .exe >comp.mode> Xp with SERVICE PACK 3>apply and OK.

I use Win7 Pro work etc.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:59 PM
  • I used the instructions held in here http://www.longbowsoftware.com/Tips_and_Tricks.php to get mine working...
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:51 AM
  • James, i tried the above but express tools does not work. please let me know if you like to offer consultation on this issue. i can be reached at zacoolm@gmail.com
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:52 PM
  • James, i tried the above but express tools does not work. please let me know if you like to offer consultation on this issue. i can be reached at zacoolm@gmail.com
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Thank you so much! That worked perfectly to get our Express Tools installed on a Win 7 machine running ACAD on a virtual XP. 
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi James

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 yesterday and didn't realize Arch Desktop 3.0 wouldn't work on it. Mine is Windows 7 Home version. Do you know of any way to get Arch Desk working with the Home Version?

Michele

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Thank you so much.  It works.  I just loaded express tools into acad 2002 on a win 7 64 bit system.

I tried many other methods before trying yours and none of them worked.

Again, thanks, thanks ,thanks.

Paul

Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:09 PM
  • is the computer a 64 or 32 bit..........i have a 64 bit........thanx....drummerboy111
    Monday, January 9, 2012 1:55 AM
  • thank you a lot, thise instruction worked great
    Monday, March 19, 2012 1:43 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I would really like to install acad2000 on my new laptop.

What does creating the ISO image do for you?  I did this and the iso doesn't automatically load or anything. I can try to run the setup copied to the ISO disc, but it does the same thing as the autocad installation disk. I get the error stating it is not compatible with my version of windows.  I'm trying to install acad2000 on a windows7 pro 64bit machine.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:45 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I would really like to install acad2000 on my new laptop.

What does creating the ISO image do for you?  I did this and the iso doesn't automatically load or anything. I can try to run the setup copied to the ISO disc, but it does the same thing as the autocad installation disk. I get the error stating it is not compatible with my version of windows.  I'm trying to install acad2000 on a windows7 pro 64bit machine.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Jason ..... obviously you're not the only one reading this after it became an OLD thread!

Go back in this thread (up above, that is) and find the response by -James on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 at 4:58 PM. I'll repeat his instructions here.

1.  Open the ISO file with MagicISO. 

1B. Look for folder \Support\nm.  Remove the "nm" folder.

2.  Go ahead and install the software with Full/complete installation.  The installation may fail on you near the end. 

If it fails....

3.  Put your install disc back in the drive (the one you burned, the ISO disc), and choose uninstall from the menu.  After it unistalls, reboot your machine.

4.  Now put the disc back in again, and redo your full/complete installation.  It should work this time.  (We have done these steps about 5 times on 2 seperate machines to verify it works because we have many machines that need to transition at some point...)  If it fails a second time, try steps 3-4 again.  If it fails a third time, let me know...

Jason, IF you have returned to this forum, from there on you're on your own, unfortunately!

Hope this helps .....

Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:42 PM