Sequencing Dot Net 4.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• This should not come to a surprise to anyone with experience on App-V.  The App-V  and the .Net teams at Microsoft have differnet release schedules and are based on opposite sides of the US.  So when .Net comes out with a new release, it usually does not play well with either the sequencer or, when we are slightly more lucky, clients with a different OS than the sequencer.

.Net 4.0 has been released so naturally I gave it a try.  This is one that looks like it doesn't sequence.  If you try it with the default settings and dig into the log file when the installer fails, it looks like after installing the components it trys a windows update to update them.  [As an asside: what the ____ is a "redistributable" doing using windows update without asking the user?]  When WU fails because you didn't turn in on in the sequencer, the installer fails.

Telling the sequencer to allow windows update does not seem to solve the problem.  So one guesses we will have to wait for the next App-V service pack or whatever.

I you landed on this message due to a search, you probably want to just do .NET as a native install or as part of your standard image anyway.

As a side note (because I'm surprised at how many people don't understand this), each .NET installer (2 and above) includes the .NET versions of all previous .NET (except 1).  So please stop installing 2, then 3, then 3.5, etc.  there is a reason that the redistributable weighs in at over 50MB.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 11:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Great writing - I am a bit surprised though because I remember reading about this in the 4.5 release notes - but it seems not to be incorporated in the sequencing whitepaper (which got update with the 4.6 release).

I did notice that some of my other remarks did get in there, but some work still needed to be done.

Considering the variations of redistributables from Microsoft it would be good to detail what belongs where.

/Znack

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:15 AM
  • As a followup (as I learn more), a note about the ".Net Framework Client Profile".  I guess this was started with .Net 3.5SP1, but I didn't notice it until I found it as a download for .Net 4.0.  So I suspect others might run into it and wonder if this is for them.

The goal of the Client Profile (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx) is to provide a lighter weight redistributable for applications.  Think of this as a subset of the full framework.  This immediately sounds interesting, right?  Well, maybe not for use with App-V.  This client profile will only install if no other part of the framework is installed.  It really is intended for an application installer that finds itself on an older OS without any .Net. 

I was thinking for a short while that this might be useful in a OSD script for emergency situations where we have a virtual app that depends on the framework but it isn't present.  But given the limitations, I would rather have the full redistributable up on a share and point to it.  This is especially the case because although the virtual app you are thinking about might be able to live with the subset, a different app might not.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:44 AM