Repeated "Unexpected Shutdowns"?? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an ongoing problem with my brand-new Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 notebook running Vista Home Premium.  Initially the problem seemed to be with sleep mode.  It wouldn't wake up and I had to shut the thing down completely, then get the Windows did not shut down properly bit, etc.  It seems that there's a problem with sleep/hibernation and I don't want to be ruining a new notebook with repeated errors and shutdowns.  I have it set to sleep when I close the lid and sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity.  For awhile, sleep when the lid was left open worked OK, but not when I closed the lid.  When I would reopen the lid, the screen would be black, I would see the cursor, but it would never come back.  Now, no matter what, some error is shutting down my computer when it tries to sleep or maybe even use the screen saver (this just happened today).  I hope someone can help.  TIA

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 7:46 PM

All replies

•  I am really hoping someone can help you with this problem because I am having the exact same problem.

The computer seems to be stuck in in hibernation mobe after I close the screen. I have a HP pavillion dv2214usEntertainment Notebook Pc.

The only way I can get the notebook to respond is to take out the battery, press the power source for a few seconds and reboot that way. It is a drastic way, but it's the only way. If I try to just press the power source and press it on again, it goes right back to the hibernation place it was before, where the screen is black and none if the keys are functional. HELP! I don't want to fry my computer one day!

Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:52 PM