none
Task Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ALL,

Can you please explain the following:

Why does MSP allow to schedule the task over the weekend, when the task calendar option NONE is selected (Task Information> Advanced>Calendar>None),  and the assigned to it recourse has Saturday and Sunday as working days , while at the same time  MSP does not schedule the same task with the same resource for the same weekend, but rather skips over Saturday and Sunday as  nonworking days when the Standard task calendar option is selected  (Task Information> Advanced>Calendar>Standard) ?

Isn't it by the default ALL  tasks use chosen base calendar unless otherwise specified?  Isn't  in such a case the selection of option NONE or Standard   in the Task Information> Advanced>Calendar shouldn't matter?

Thank you,

Alex 

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

(Quote)

None and Standard that  both are supposed to refer to the same thing- a Standard Project Calendar,  behave differently with respect to scheduling of the task whose resource  has his own calendar.

And I don't understand how you say you understand the priorities but you still are confused.

When the task calendar is none, the task is scheduled as per the resource calendar (second in priority) and if there is no resource attached to the task, as per the project calendar (lowest priority).

To the contrary, when there is a task calendar that takes the first priority (especially when "ignore resource calendars" is checked)and it governs the scheduling of the task.

The fact that it happens to be the same calendar as the project calendar isn't relevant to this discussion. It's which calendar applies.

NONE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PROJECT CALENDAR AS TASK CALENDAR.

Greetings,

Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:35 AM

All replies

• Apologies for any misunderstanding, but your post isn't very clear. Basically:

• In a new project, every tasks schedules according to the Project calendar.
    • By default every resource uses the Project calendar at the time the resource was created for their timing.
    • Any task with a task calendar and the ignore resource calendar flag set uses the task calendar.

So a task only has work on a weekend if the project calendar

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Hi Alex,

there are three levels of calendars in MS project:

• Project Calendar
    • Task Calendar
    • Resource Calendar (Base Calendar)

In principle you set the project calendar first, which is the "master calendar" and in case you need to set individual task and or resurface calendar you would need to modify and insert an exception... 

what you described could be driven by different factors:

• what is the project calendar? (Project -> Project Information)
    • what is the task calendar? (Task -> Information -> Advance -> Calendar)
    • What is the Resource calendar? (Resource -> Information -> General -> Change Working Time)
    • is the task "manually or auto scheduled"?

A useful link below: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-working-days-for-the-project-calendar-323ff403-a676-428c-be11-6942bfb7210c

Cheers

Ivan

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Hi Rod, my apologies for not being clear. Here are the steps I'd like you to replicate:

1. Open New project. Standard Calendar is used by default as Project, Resource and Task Calendar

2. Create a resource, e.g., John, 100% available to project 

3. Modify this resource's calendar so he works on weekends either on Work Weeks tab or though the exception)

4. Create a  4-day Task to run over the weekend, e.g.  Wed 03/16/16 - Mon 3/21/16

5. Check that Task Information> Advanced>Calendar displays  None (default)

6. Assign 100% of the resource John to this task 

Result: MPS schedules the task over the weekend so the 4-day task is now Wed 03/16/16 - Sat 3/19/16. This is the expected result

7. Now change the value in Task Information> Advanced > Calendar from None to Standard

Result:   MSP  this time does not schedule this 4-day task for the weekend even though the resource is available to work on this weekend. So now instead of being scheduled for  Wed 03/16/16 - Sat 3/19/16, the task is scheduled for Wed 03/16/16 - Mon 3/21/16 as if the resource John uses a default Standard calendar, but  he is not. 

Question: Why does it happen?   My understanding is that a Standard base calendar is a default  calendar for the tasks regardless whether the value None or Standard is selected  in  Task Information> Advanced>Calendar  field. 

Thank you, 

Alex          

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:19 PM
  • Hi, Ivan. Thanks for the reply. Please see my reply to Rod.

Alex

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

MS project may react quite differently to the same calendar depending on wether it is used merely as project calendar or as task calendar.

The project calendar ahs the very lowest "priority". If there is a resoruce assigned, and/or there is a task calendar assigned, the project calendar is no longer in play for the scheduling.

To the contrary, when you assign it as a task calendar with the option "ignore resource calendars", now it has the very strongest of priorities overruling this time the resource calendar as wll as the project calendar.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:38 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Thank you for your reply. I do understand those priorities  MSP establishes among Project, Resource and Task calendar. But the behavior I just described above doesn't make sense to me at all. I'd appreciate if you could replicate those steps I provided. May be you will see something I missed.

I'm completely confused as to why  task's calendar options-  None and Standard that  both are supposed to refer to the same thing- a Standard Project Calendar,  behave differently with respect to scheduling of the task whose resource  has his own calendar. In this case the resource allowed to work on Saturday. Thank you, Alex

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

(Quote)

None and Standard that  both are supposed to refer to the same thing- a Standard Project Calendar,  behave differently with respect to scheduling of the task whose resource  has his own calendar.

And I don't understand how you say you understand the priorities but you still are confused.

When the task calendar is none, the task is scheduled as per the resource calendar (second in priority) and if there is no resource attached to the task, as per the project calendar (lowest priority).

To the contrary, when there is a task calendar that takes the first priority (especially when "ignore resource calendars" is checked)and it governs the scheduling of the task.

The fact that it happens to be the same calendar as the project calendar isn't relevant to this discussion. It's which calendar applies.

NONE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PROJECT CALENDAR AS TASK CALENDAR.

Greetings,

Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Jan,

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I do understand it!

What confused me was that  MS support site and other resources say that the None and Standard option both refer to the same Standard base calendar.  But what they forgot to mention was what you've actually said, that is,  that None is always superseded by Resource or otherwise by the Project calendar, while when Standard option is chosen and there is a resource being assigned for the task, the MSP task scheduling rule is applied,  that is, a task is scheduled only for common working days between task and resource calendars.

Once again, thank you.

Alex

Saturday, March 12, 2016 7:22 PM