none
Master project schedules & links in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to create a master project linked to sub-projects, where they are all stored in a SharePoint library?

*Project server is not an option at this time.

Software

• SharePoint 2010
    • Project 2010 Standard

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the general sharepoint 2010 forum. If i should ask there instead, please let me know.

Thanks!

• Edited by theosla Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:46 PM additional comment
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

• Yes - if you implement an additional third party product.

We've just implemented a product called WebDrive, which is a WebDav client. It allows you to map to sharepoint with a drive letter. This then tricks MS Project into thinking that the SharePoint library is a plain old directory, allowing you to build links between projects. I've been testing it in the last couple of weeks, and seems to do the trick.

There may be other WebDav clients which can do the same trick, but I've only tested this one.

• Proposed as answer by Andrew Simpson Friday, February 24, 2012 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by theosla Friday, February 24, 2012 3:35 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I've written about this here many times in the past.  Do some searches to find out. Bottom line is that Project cann't link directly back to file URL's in SharePoint.  What we do (successfully) is declare a standard place on PC (c:\data\msp\projectname) where we put ALL files related to a master/submaster relationship. We check them out from SP when copying them there. We open Project with this as the current directory, and we only link subprojects from this c: drive location.  That way Project, no matter who is using the files, thinks the files are on c: which avoids risk of corruption.  After editing, we check all files back into SP with the updated versions. Works fine.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Marked as answer by theosla Friday, February 24, 2012 3:34 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:36 PM
  • theosla,

This is definitely the right forum.

I dn't use Sharepoint so I can't answer first hand, however a very similar questions was recently asked on the answers forum and I believe Rod Gill's answer addresses your question also. See, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/linking-sub-projects-located-on-the-web-in-a/48de0057-b8fa-482e-bc6b-b78df9a1c568

John

All replies

• theosla,

This is definitely the right forum.

I dn't use Sharepoint so I can't answer first hand, however a very similar questions was recently asked on the answers forum and I believe Rod Gill's answer addresses your question also. See, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/linking-sub-projects-located-on-the-web-in-a/48de0057-b8fa-482e-bc6b-b78df9a1c568

John

• I've written about this here many times in the past.  Do some searches to find out. Bottom line is that Project cann't link directly back to file URL's in SharePoint.  What we do (successfully) is declare a standard place on PC (c:\data\msp\projectname) where we put ALL files related to a master/submaster relationship. We check them out from SP when copying them there. We open Project with this as the current directory, and we only link subprojects from this c: drive location.  That way Project, no matter who is using the files, thinks the files are on c: which avoids risk of corruption.  After editing, we check all files back into SP with the updated versions. Works fine.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• hey Rob - i definitely saw some older threads for 2007, but I didn't see any for 2010. thanks for the quick reply and the c: drive workaround.

hey john - i'll definitely follow that thread as well.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Yes - if you implement an additional third party product.

We've just implemented a product called WebDrive, which is a WebDav client. It allows you to map to sharepoint with a drive letter. This then tricks MS Project into thinking that the SharePoint library is a plain old directory, allowing you to build links between projects. I've been testing it in the last couple of weeks, and seems to do the trick.

There may be other WebDav clients which can do the same trick, but I've only tested this one.

• Proposed as answer by Andrew Simpson Friday, February 24, 2012 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by theosla Friday, February 24, 2012 3:35 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I was having this issue and I found a fairly decent way to link a master and sub projects was just to put them all on a share drive, like:

\\drive\folder\area\schedules

Then setup the linking you want. Then on the sharepoint, just using external links. When a user follows the link, IE is currently opening MS Project first giving a misleading error, but then displaying all the data I want in IE. This works for master/sub projects. This lets everyone just edit their sub-project and the sharepoint is always in tact.

For what it's worth,

Nebby

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Hello

Thanks for your input, I am really new to MS Project and I need to put the master project(that has subprojects)on sharepoint, so that when the individual projects has to e updated in sharepoint it will update the master project on share point. Can you provide insite on how to do that. Thanks

Tawana

• Edited by Tawanamr Thursday, June 22, 2017 11:19 AM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 11:16 AM
  • So I'm confused.  I cannot find an formal, legitimate documentation from 'Microsoft' saying master projects and subordinate projects are supported in SharePoint while being stored there.  Yet, a clever client of mine has done this. They created a subsite, uploaded test subordinate project files along with a master into this document library.  Then they opened the master and added the subordinates as subprojects.  Then then linked tasks within the master.  This all worked.  While I've seen comments going back and forth, I have to say I've seen just as many saying it is supported and not supported.  Some of the supported comments say you must use a third part tool.  So where is the official statement from Microsoft?  Where can I find that this is supported?

I have pics of this working which I can upload later.  I linked two tasks across subordinate/master projects.  I did this using a full SharePoint reference such as 'https://extranet/company name/sites/.....  This isn't surprising from a master/subordinate project.  What is, is that these projects are all stored in SharePoint.  This is the catch and I cannot find anything legitimate that says this is or isn't supported with SharePoint.  The client is using an on-premise SharePoint server solution, not SharePoint online.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:10 PM