Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800F0823 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read several threads about people having issues with Roles in Server Manager. None of them, however, have the error code that I am receiving. The error message and event log entry:

The error message I see in Server Manager reads:
    "Unexpected error refreshing Server Manager: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800F0823"

The message from the event log reads:
    Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager
    Date:          1/19/2011 1:04:01 PM
    Event ID:      1601
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          *****\Administrator
    Computer:      FFGSRV.*****.local
    Description:
    Could not discover the state of the system. An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800F0823): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800F0823
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.Initialize(DocumentCollection documents)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager" Guid="{8c474092-13e4-430e-9f06-5b60a529bf38}" />
        <EventID>1601</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-19T19:04:01.707Z" />
        <EventRecordID>73</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4924" ThreadID="10864" />
        <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-ServerManager/Operational</Channel>
        <Computer>FFGSRV.*****.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1574688940-4056158363-3493470768-500" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="Event_NS">
          <message>An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800F0823): Exception from HRESULT: 0x800F0823
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr&amp; session, IntPtr&amp; package)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.Initialize(DocumentCollection documents)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)
    </message>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

I have searched around the web but have only been able to find information pertaining to a Windows Vista issue with the same error code. If anyone has any advice pertaining to this issue with this exact error code, I would greatly appreciate it.
    • Edited by Joey Nemastil Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:46 PM new title
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Ok, I just checked around in the forums and found this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/fd1ed671-4065-4022-8889-5e50241f449a

It seems I am also having the issues described in that thread with Windows Updates. I am trying the solution listed in that thread, first. I'll post again if I find that solution to be the answer.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:58 PM
  • So, I ran a scan with SFC, here's the output:

sfc /scannow

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Does SFC have to be run from the System Recovery command prompt? This server is not only the DC, but is also running Exchange, so we can't take it down during business hours.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Since it's after hours, we shut down the server, started the console from System Recovery and ran the following command:
    sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\

And, we got the same results:
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

So, now we're trying the other steps listed in the previously mentioned thread.

We've already attempted to install the Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable listed here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

That came back with a message stating it was not meant for our system (we're assuming this is due to it already being installed?).

So that leaves us with the In-Place Upgrade. We're going to try that out, now. I'll post more when that has been completed.

Again, if anyone has any information whatsoever, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:29 PM
  • More news: Tried the In-Place Upgrade, but we get an error message:
    "Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows, restart the installation."

I've run the setup.exe several times but it always comes up with that error.

We need help on this issue! Can anyone lend a helping hand?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please run the System Update Readiness Tool and then paste the result in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

Tim Quan

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:53 AM
  • The output from the log is as follows:

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.0.6002.22511
    Package Version 10.0
    2011-01-20 09:06

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 2576
     No errors detected

Again, the system shows there's nothing wrong. But we're still receiving the error viewing/adding Roles in Server Manager. What should we try, next?
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Here's an update:

We're unable to install SP2 because it says SP1 is not installed. The Microsoft techs I spoke to yesterday, though, stated that SP1 is included on the install dvd and that it is already installed. When we run any other update, we get the error 0x800F0823. Also, in Server Manger, Roles and Features can't be displayed and also give the error code 0x800F0823. 

I spent over 9 hours on the phone with Microsoft Professional Support, yesterday. The issue is still not resolved.

Any moderators out there have any other advice or suggestions?

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:02 PM
  • While on the call with Microsoft today (in total, only about 2 hours on the phone, this time), I suggested to them that since I'm getting an error stating SP1 is not installed, why not install SP1 again? Well, as it turns out, you can't. If you have installed Windows Server 2008 (NOT R2) you can't re-install SP1 by itself. It doesn't exist by itself. The only thing you can do is try to run an in-place upgrade.

Now, here's the bad part. I can't run an in-place upgrade. I get the error message ""Windows Setup experienced an unexpected error. To install Windows, restart the installation." every single time it tries to run from the DVD. So, Microsoft is now suggesting I find a new installation disc of Windows Server 2008 and try running it again.

Friday, January 21, 2011 11:06 PM