PC "Stutters": Freezes for half a second... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I've been having a consistent problem with my PC ever since I bought it. Every 5-10min the entire system "stutters". The audio skips, mouse freezes, all operation freezes too. Specs:

• Video: XFX GTX260(216SP)896M CoreEdition NOGame(GX-260X-ADJL)
    • HDD: Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200rpm HDD 32M Green Power
    • Monitor: Samsung 2333SW+ 23inch Wide Full HD LCD 5ms High Glossy Black Tilt DVI
    • Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard Retail
    • Mouse: Microsoft SideWinde r X3 Mouse
    • RAM: Kingston DDR2 4(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz - KVR800D2N6K2/4G
    • CPU: Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q9550/2.83GHz/12MB CACHE/1333MHz FSB/LGA775
    • PSU: CoolerMaster 650W Extreme Plus
    • MotherBoard: Asus P5QL-PRO ExpGATE S775 P43 DDR2 FSB1600 PCIE GBLAN ATX

I have already formatted multiple times however the problem persists. Games, music, web browsing, word processing, it'll happen at any time without warning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Saturday, October 9, 2010 12:52 AM

All replies

• Some common causes of 'skipping' or freezing in Win7:

• The search service (turn it off and get fileseek)
    • Windows trying to access a network location that doesn't exist/isn't connected right now
    • A bad driver (get the latest ones if you haven't already)
    • A bad USB device (try unplugging them for a while)
    • Bad HDD blocks (run chkdsk, this usually causes a full 30 sec lockup though)

Just trying to get value-for-money for the $20,000 worth of your products I support...
    Monday, October 11, 2010 2:46 AM
  • As for this high system freezing issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Also, according to your description, the issue occurred since you bought the computer and it persists after reformatting for several times. I strongly suspect the issue is related to the hardware.

It is recommended contacting the computer manufacturer/vendor directly and check if the issue is related to the hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:47 AM