Monitoringhost.exe is consuming all of the RMS memory. RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Good day.  We have ran into a problem with the monitoringhost.exe process consuming all of the memory on the RMS.  Has anyone seen this problem before..? 

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:14 PM

Answers

• I would recommend opening a support case at this point.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Regarding the error, please try the hotfix in the following Knowledge Base article:

The MonitoringHost.exe process on the System Center Operations Manager 2007 root management server may consume more than 2 gigabytes of memory

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943706

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Does this hotfix include SCOM 2007 R2..??
    BRamage
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:24 PM
  • According to the release notes this hotfix is included in SP1.  We are currently operating SCOM 2007 R2, so I believe this file is already included. 
    BRamage
    Friday, January 21, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Interesting that this same issue happened to me this morning.  I restarted the health service and the memory cleared up.  We're also at R2 so go figure.

I was able to see the memory growing as I watched, configuration service also so I restarted that also.

Friday, January 21, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Apply the hotfix in the following Knowledge Base article:

A managed application has a high number of thread handles and of event handles in the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968760

2.    Upgrade to System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cumulative Update 3

System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Cumulative Update 3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2251525

For more detailed steps, please refer to Kevin’s post:

OpsMgr 2007 R2 CU3 rollup hotfix ships – and my experience installing it

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2010/10/04/opsmgr-2007-r2-cu3-rollup-hotfix-ships-and-my-experience-installing-it.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Thank you.  But, our current system has SCOM 2007 R2 with update 3 so we don't want to re-invent the wheel. 

Do you have any other possible recommendations? 

As of now, it is stable.  This problem is hard to isolate because it keeps going up and down.  One day it will be using all the memory on the RMS, then it will just stop.

My thought was to start uninstalling MP's until we find the issue, but even that is difficult to do. 

Any thoughts on how we might at least try and isolate the issue?

BRamage
    Monday, January 24, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I would recommend opening a support case at this point.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 + 2013 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:39 PM