What is the best practice in managing multiple groups in SharePoint 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• My organization has stood up MOSS 2007 about four years ago before my time here. I noticed that the groups and user permissions are extremely messy and hard to manage. In many cases, majority of users with various permissions are being used instead groups. So, I have decided to start using SharePoint groups instead, but groups can be just as long and cumbersome to manage as well, especially if permission levels are different at every level. OMGSH, it is a nightmare. I also have exhausted my research in trying to find a best business practice to better manage multiple groups with various permission levels.  Honestly speaking, at times, I feel like quitting my job. If possible, is there a best way to manage multiple groups in SharePoint 2007? Any suggestion or advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
    • Moved by David Wolters Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:18 PM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office 2007 Application Compatibility)
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• There are times when groups don't makes sense to use, and cause more pain than they're worth.  Start with pen and paper and try to draw what the Eutopia (Grouptopia, I reckon) should be, and then figure out what it will take to get from here to there.

If you're planning to quit, don't concern yourself.  Fixing a permissions quagmire is an esoteric and thankless task.  You'll get more complaints than attaboy/girls, because people only notice when you botch something.  Thus, there's no upside.  Nothing you put in place will make sense to your replacement anyway, and they'll just talk bad about you, even more than they already will, after you're gone.

At least if you leave it in the As-Is state, the blame goes back further than you. :)

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    • Edited by SClark_EasyBins Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:32 PM more waxing
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Monday, January 2, 2012 12:22 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

If you have a site structure where the permissions are broken at many levels then it i sdifficult to find out.

However there are some tools that will help you  in this regard bu using security report account provided by admintoolkit at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227

You can use my tool to do the same on entire site collection as well:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Powershell-script-to-check-122851d6

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, December 23, 2011 3:29 AM

All replies

• There are times when groups don't makes sense to use, and cause more pain than they're worth.  Start with pen and paper and try to draw what the Eutopia (Grouptopia, I reckon) should be, and then figure out what it will take to get from here to there.

If you're planning to quit, don't concern yourself.  Fixing a permissions quagmire is an esoteric and thankless task.  You'll get more complaints than attaboy/girls, because people only notice when you botch something.  Thus, there's no upside.  Nothing you put in place will make sense to your replacement anyway, and they'll just talk bad about you, even more than they already will, after you're gone.

At least if you leave it in the As-Is state, the blame goes back further than you. :)

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    • Edited by SClark_EasyBins Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:32 PM more waxing
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

If you have a site structure where the permissions are broken at many levels then it i sdifficult to find out.

However there are some tools that will help you  in this regard bu using security report account provided by admintoolkit at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227

You can use my tool to do the same on entire site collection as well:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Powershell-script-to-check-122851d6

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, December 23, 2011 3:29 AM