none
MS Excel 2013 Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My company will be upgrading to MS Office 2013 from MS Office 2007 in near future. I'm in process to test if this upgradation would cause any issue in

- SSIS package I create (using Excel as Source & destination) in SQL Server 2008.

- Using Cubes created in SQL Server 2008

- Any scripting Issue?

I'll be posting back about the issue I'll face in near future, but just wanted to know if there are any known issues??

Thanks,

madhur_ms

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:02 PM

Answers

• Every new Office supports older versions, so there must be no issues unless you update the driver where you run the SSIS packages. But test and test again.

In general, it is a bad design to produce and consume Excel spreadhseets on servers.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:04 PM

All replies

• Every new Office supports older versions, so there must be no issues unless you update the driver where you run the SSIS packages. But test and test again.

In general, it is a bad design to produce and consume Excel spreadhseets on servers.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

So far I have not faced any major issues, except couple of them mentioned below

1)Excel file generated using MS excel 2013 could not open with MS excel 2007.

Although this happened to my file which was 8 MB  file. But if the file size was small I faced no issue.

2) The C# script created using MS excel 2013 in script task, faced run time issue when ran on development server which had MS excel 2007. I had to rebuild the solution on development(having office 2007) server to make the package running.

Apart from the above two issue I did not face any major issue. 

Will post back here if I face any issue in near future.

Thanks,

madhur_ms

Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

So far I have not faced any major issues, except couple of them mentioned below

1)Excel file generated using MS excel 2013 could not open with MS excel 2007.

Although this happened to my file which was 8 MB  file. But if the file size was small I faced no issue.

2) The C# script created using MS excel 2013 in script task, faced run time issue when ran on development server which had MS excel 2007. I had to rebuild the solution on development(having office 2007) server to make the package running.

Apart from the above two issue I did not face any major issue. 

Will post back here if I face any issue in near future.

Thanks,

madhur_ms

> #1 this is by design, thing is when Office 2007 shipped nobody knew what Excel 2013 gonna look like

> #2 is the same story the other way around, in general the compatibility is from higher version to lover, not vice versa

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:23 AM