SharePoint 2010 and MS Project 2010 synchronisation failure RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    Following scenario:
    I have an application synchronizing with sharepoint automatically. If something changes in that application it will be updated in SharePoint.
    If I synchronize MS Project with SharePoint all the changes will be updated in SharePoint and in that application.
    Now I have the strange behaviour that MS Project shows the following message: "Unable to write information for task "XXX" to SharePoint. Ensure "XXX" contains valid data and try again."
    That happens always if the asynchronous call to ItemUpdating is called multiple times for the same SharePoint item. Normally that works witout any problems
    but if a MS Project synchronisation is active the synchronisation halts and the messages in SharePoint aren't handled correctly anymore.
    I get the event ID 907129 in the windows event logger but there is no information about that event.
    Perhaps someone can help me with that issue.

    Best regards,


    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:59 AM

All replies

  • I am seeing the same issue with nothing to correlate why..


    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:55 PM
  •  I am having the same problem and can't find any answers?

    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Same here. It seems like a cat and mouse game. I fix some of them by removing the "bad" task and re-creating them only to have it popup again. 
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:23 AM
  • Hey guys,

    seems like this is still a severe problem - same thing here. Did anyone had ever success in clarifying this issue?

    Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:08 PM
  • The same is true with Sharepoint Online. I can bring a project from Sharepoint to Project just fine, but it won't sync back the other way. I'm using Project 2010 Professional. I even reduced the task information in Project down to just a very simple title which couldn't possibly violate any rules AND made sure that there weren't any required fields in the Sharepoint list that I was missing.


    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:02 PM
  • In my case, my user had created a bunch of required fields in SharePoint which caused the errors in Project since the list items couldn't save without having those fields populated. That part made sense to me, but we found that the errors persisted even after making the SharePoint fields optional. After some additional sleuthing, I found that some of the fields were still marked as required in the database, but showed as optional in the UI. This was discovered and rectified by using SP Manager from CodePlex to investigate the properties of the field.


    Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:03 AM