Adding USMT data to standard task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running MDT 2013 (latest version) with the latest Windows 10 ADK (1803) on a Standard Server 2016 using WDS to deploy the Windows 10 64bit to the desktops in my environment.

I have a Standard task sequence set up that installs windows 10 - 1709 - 64bit, updates the OS, installs all our apps and customises the installation to drop the apps & settings we don't want / need and customise the start menu / taskbar. This all works a 100%.

I use PXE boot to start the machines up (Usual hit F12 a lot!), then selected my standard task sequence.  At current the only inputting I need to do is to add in the Computer Name and everything then works. This is great for new builds.

My current desktops are running an older version of windows 10 - 1607 - 64bit, I wish to replace the machines with a new installation so they all have a fresh install of windows 10.

I want to pick up the users favorites / documents / etc. so I don't need to back them up before I replace each machine, plus I want to get the current computer name so I don't need to retype it.  I also want to continue using PXE boot to get the user data as I run my updates out of hours so I'm not taking up user time.

I've checked my Task sequence and the State capture / restore elements are enabled. So after some research added the bold information to the CustomSettings.ini default section:

OSInstall=Y
    UserID=AdministratorTypeID
    UserDomain=Domain.local
    UserPassword=&PassW0rd&
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipApplications=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipUserData=YES

ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac
    USMTOfflineMigration=TRUE
    UserDataLocation= Network
    UDShare=\\ServerName\DeploymentUSMT$
    UDDir=%ComputerName%
    USMTMigFile001=MigUser.xml

SkipComputerName=NO
    JoinDomain=Domain.local
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=0809:00000809
    UserLocale=en-GB
    UILanguage=en-GB
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName=GMT Standard Time
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipRoles=YES
    SkipSummary=YES

When I ran the task sequence it did not bother to try and capture the user information.  Plus I'm struggling to find out how to set and use the current computer name as a variable. What have I missed?

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:39 PM