none
Windows 10 - OneDrive issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I hope someone can help us on this issue.

I work at a school with over 5000+ students and teachers. We have thousands of computers, and most of the computers are free to use by students, so every student sits behind many different computers through the day/week. 

As we are in preparation of migrating everything to Windows 10 and want to make use of Office 365 with OneDrive we are trying to get a setup where a student can logon on one computer, use the OneDrive App, logoff again and get the same setup including the OneDrive on the other computer.

Apparently, the OneDrive installs all it's settings locally on each computer, which means that when a user logs on the OneDrive will be installed (which could take up to 2 to 4 minutes...) and after that he can use the OneDrive App. When he logs off and go work on another computer the same process of 2 to 4 minutes needs to run before the student can even begin to work. As you can see this is no working solution and probably not as MS has intented. We are trying to use it with UE-V (User Experience Virtualization) but this does nothing with synchronising OneDrive settings. To be honest, i have no idea how to get this to work in an environment like ours.

What we have tried:

- A powershell script from Lieben.nu (this works to slow)
    - Using UE-V to sync (i'm not familiar with this tool, but for now it's does not seem to work).
    - A bunch of registry edits found on the internet.

I was kind of hoping there is an official Microsoft best practice for this particalur setup, but i haven't found it yet. 

Is there anyone who has encountered this problem as well, or could give some pointers on how to get this to work properly?

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:37 PM

Answers

• Onedrive installs per-user by default, but there are other options:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/per-machine-installation

NB, I've not actually tried this, but have seen reports of others using it successfully in academic environments.

For the other issues, you'll need to use some kind of profile deletion mechanism, but that's messy currently. Windows 10 has made dealing with this kind of roaming user scenario more difficult, less capable, and less reliable.

• Edited by Mike Sandells Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dave Work Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:10 AM

All replies

• As a school’s IT admin, you and your IT team could use SCCM to deploy OneDrive for thousands of computers. Please refer to the following article for specific method

Deploy OneDrive apps by using System Center Configuration Manager

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/deploy-on-windows

You can also use policies to manage OneDrive.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

We are using Windows 10 1809 and with this Windows version its not necessary anymore to install OneDrive through SCCM (We use SCCM as well) because it's integrated in Windows already.

And we use GPO's to configure the OneDrive. 

These two things are not the problem, the problem lies with fact that OneDrive needs to installed PER user. So everytime a new user logs on, the OneDrive Apps start to configure (this works, although it takes a few minutes) and the user can use the OneDrive.

When this would only happen one time i would be really happy, but we are a school. Students can loan laptops, or use fixed computers all through our school. So everytime this user logs on, the chance is great that OneDrive will see this user as a new user and needs to install OneDrive all over again because it doesn't roam with the profile.

As we are using SSD with about 120GB size, we need to purge the local profiles on a regular basis, otherwise the SSD would run out of space within weeks. Especially when you consider the OneDrive folder (located on C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive) is at least 150MB, without being used. Ofcourse we will use the "On Demand" feature from OneDrive but this will still download some files to the profile.

What i really would like is that a user can log on a computer the first time, OneDrive wil be configurered, logs off and when he or she logs on at a different computer the OneDrive is immediately configured and ready for use.

Does anyone has a working solution for this problem? 

Or is this impossible and is OneDrive incapable of handling roaming users?

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:01 AM

NB, I've not actually tried this, but have seen reports of others using it successfully in academic environments.

For the other issues, you'll need to use some kind of profile deletion mechanism, but that's messy currently. Windows 10 has made dealing with this kind of roaming user scenario more difficult, less capable, and less reliable.

• Edited by Mike Sandells Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dave Work Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:10 AM

Im gonna test this right away! I'll let you know if this works.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:26 AM

Wow, this is exactly what i needed! I just tested it and it seems to work like a charm. For now ill mark this as the solution, if i find problems with further testing i will let it know.

Thanks a million!
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:47 AM