none
DHCP not update DNS - nothing in Log RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have 2 Serves are DC Server Windows 2003 (primary and secondary), both servers are DNS server.

The primary is also DHCP server. The proplem is that DHCP does not update DNS 

I look in the DHCP log but none of the lines show DNS update (there is no event ID 30, 31 or 32).

On DHCP server , I have checked enable DNS dynamic update with " Always dynamically update DNS and PTR records"

In server option : 006 DNS Server is also checked with 2 DNS server IPs

How can I troubleshoot this ? 

Thanks !

Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

What is the setting on your DNS zone? Is the "Secure only" selected in the dynamic update column?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hello Leon,

Yes, the "Secure only" is selected in the dynamic update column

I have checked and found that the forwward lookup zone has many new HOST(A)s but the Reverse only has a few PTRs
    Friday, March 15, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Which clients failed to update records dynamically? Which clients have only A records and no PTR records? Do these clients get addresses through DHCP?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 15, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi, 

A long time ago, i deleted all the PTRs of some subnet in reverse look up  (except for NS records), and so far no new records have been recreated. 

Ex, in the subnet (Reverse Lookup) that my PC is , I deleted all PTR ( except for NS) , there are only 2 PTRs have been recreated (My PC and another, maybe my PC was reinstalled and rejoinded the domain).Yesterday I tried to deleted these PTRs , and today nothing is recreated.

Yesterday, I also tried to deleted all records of a subnet in the forward lookup section, and today the records in this subnet have been recreated quite fully.

Best regards,

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

The DNS client will make a dynamic update request to the DNS server in the following situations:

1. An IP address is added, removed, or modified in the TCP/IP properties configuration for any one of the installed network connections.
    2. An IP address lease changes or renews any one of the installed network connections with the DHCP server. For example, this update occurs when the computer is started or when you use the ipconfig /renew command.
    3. You use the ipconfig /registerdns command to manually force an update of the client name registration in DNS.
    4. The computer is turned on.
    5. A member server is promoted to a domain controller.

Your DNS client may not have triggered these events. Please test to trigger any of these events to check if the dynamic update feature is working.

Best Regards,

Leon

Monday, March 18, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

The Forward lookup zone work fine (new HOSTs(A) updated).

Only the Reverse zone is not updated , it only is updated when I manually set IP for my PC (not obtain automatically) 

Only my PC is updated DNS on Server (there is new PTR of my PC)

There are no new event ID (30,31,32) in DHCP log , there are only event 10,11,24,25...

Nothing happens when I check with cases above.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

Usually we do not recommend installing a role other than DNS on the DC, as this may cause some unexpected behavior.

Please check the event viewer for the corresponding event logs on the client that did not correctly update the PTR record.

Check under these two paths: Event Viewer->Windows Logs->System and Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->DNS Client Events.

Best Regards,

Leon

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Leon

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Leon

Thursday, March 28, 2019 8:03 AM