Does Win7 Search not like a separate Data partition? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dual boot config: one partition for XP, one for Win7, one for Data, which is shared by both OS's.  My Documents, and all Outlook data, etc, sit on the Data partition, and this all works fine for both OS's. 

Problem is this: One Win7, if I open a Library, and type a string that matches any number of files which definitely exist in my Data directory, it finds no matches.  And yes, I have added my Data drive's copy of My Documents to the Documents library, and assigned it as default.  Etc.

I have tried rebuilding index.  Changing settings for index, explicitly checking the hard drive letter at the top of the directory hiearchy, not just the parts that were checked by default when Win7 marked the Libraries as "included" in the index.

So what's with Win7 search?  Does it not like mutliple partitions?  Dave

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:02 AM

All replies

• Dave, you should be able to add that to the areas that Search indexes.

Click on the Start Orb then type windows search.

Click Change how Windows searche s at the top.

Click the Modify button then navigate to the folder you want included in searches. See if that helps.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:23 AM
  • Windows search doesn't even like searching. It will insist there is no results while still searching. The libraries are an even worse idea.

Turn off indexing; all you're doing is thrashing your HDD and shortening its lifespan to accommodate the twice a year you want a file you didn't save somewhere sensible.

If a product has faults the onus rests on the original manufacturer to solve problems arising because of that fault.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Yes I have exactly the same problem and can't find any info on the net to solve this!!!
    Indexing works fine for my main c: drive (win 7 installed).  That is I can add any folder to the indexer and the search works well.

However on my other drives/partitions (where my data is i.e pictures, music, documents etc) as soon as I add a folder from here, if i try to search in windows explorer, no matter what you search for there are no results ever.  The only work around is that you can delete the folder you want to search from the indexer list, the search now works albeit slowly.

Very annoying, what is going on!  Why can't windows 7 index folders of drives other than c:
    People please try this for yourself and verify.

Monday, April 5, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I had the same problem with a partition I assigned letter A, then I changed the partition letter to X, changed indexing options accordingly and rebuilt the index, and it now works...go figure.

Good luck!

Mike

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:06 AM