Computers reverting to "Not Yet Contacted" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a situation with a number of old Windows 2000 workstations in System Center. I have installed the agents on them and got them to contact the server (each took some coaxing - auto update service not enabled, policy issues, etc) and the interface reported them as OK. However, after a few hours, they revert back to "Not yet contacted" as if nothing ever happened. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

1.  First, check that the client is configured to use the SCE server for Windows Updates.  The following registry entries should be set to https://<sceserverfqdn>:8531/

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUServer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\WUStatusServer

2.  If the above registry keys are not set correctly, and you are using the Domain Group Policy option, run "gpupdate /force" to refresh the settings.

3. Also, on those problematic clients, use following steps outlined:

1).Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2).At the command prompt, type net stop wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
    3).Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    4).Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate
    5)In the right pane of Registry Editor, delete the following registry entries:
    • PingID
    • AccountDomainSid
    • SusClientId
    6) Quit Registry Editor.
    7) At the command prompt, type net start wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
    8) At the command prompt, type wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow, and then press ENTER.
    9) Wait 10 minutes for a detection cycle to finish.

HTH.

Jie-Feng Ren - MSFT
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply. All of the machines are set to use the SCE server for SUS. I verified that both through the registry and RSoP for the machines.

I have followed the steps that you outlined to reauthorize the machines already (the same steps are in KB903262). This process has proven to be almost excorism-like (demons are gone ... things are good) in the the behavior of the machines. However, I still have some that revert to "not yet contacted." Any more suggestions ... I hope?

One of the boxes that I'm have a good deal of trouble with is an old Windows 2000 machine. I functions in our plant on the production line and must stay up at all times so it is very hard to work with. I can do a lot with it using remote tools (i.e. PsExec, Telnet, WMIC, remote registry, etc) but I can't reboot it. I'm not sure how much this is hurting my efforts.

Again, thanks for the help!
    Monday, March 16, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hi,

Is there a Proxy server in your environment? If not, check if a proxy setting in IE on problematic servers and run proxycfg -d command. Also, check if you can browser https://<sceserverFQDN>:8531/simpleauthwebservice/simpleauth.asmx correctly from problemaitice server.

HTH.
    Jie-Feng Ren - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Jie-Feng Ren Friday, March 20, 2009 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:34 AM