none
Client Computer Pointing to Wrong Space on Host RRS feed

• Question

• Recently expanded a shared partition on a win 10 computer. Win 7 client does not recognize new size. Deleted and recreated partition and reset share settings and rebooted both computers. Not only does the client not recognize the size, but it shows files that are not on the partition. If I add a file from the client, they do not show on the host and if I add a file to the host they do not show on the client. For a file added from the network, a search for the file comes up non-existent on all partitions of both computers but shows up as file on the host computer when looked at from the client. The client computer sees all the other partitions on the host correctly. Host is Win 10 pro, client is win 7 pro. A third win 10 computer on the network shows the files on the host computer correctly.
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

Can you post some screenshots of your current situation? How did you create the shared partition?

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue resolved? 
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,
    Leon

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Some additional information now that I have had time. The partition in the host computer (Laptop) disappeared, that is the space suddenly went unallocated. Reestablished the partition. Reset the share (probably changed the share name from 'Music' to 'H Music'). Added one file. The problem still exists. If I look at the partition on the host computer directly I see the file I added, System Volume and nothing else. If I go to network on the host computer and go to network, I see an entry for 'Music', but it is not accessable. If I go into with a sharename of Laptop\Music I get the same result. If I go in with sharename Laptop/H Music I see the partition correctly. Looking at it from other computers, Music shows up in the Network and I see a different set of files. If I go in with server name Laptop/Music I see the same incorrect files. If I go in with server name Laptop\H Music I see the correct files. If I create a file in Laptop\Music in one client, it will appear in Laptop\Music on another client which means it is writing those files somewhere on Laptop. But Music and H Music are sharing the same disk space. 
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:16 PM