none
DNS issue with company website RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single firewalled domain network using Windows server 2012 for internal DNS and DHCP. I use a WAN management device that sits between my firewall and the outside world for external dns.  Lets say my domain name is xyz.com. We have always hosted our company website internally on IIS. I have firewall rules set to forward traffic from both inside and outside to this website. The website url is www.xyz.com.

I am now having an outside hosting company host our website. I have changed external dns to reflect this change and all works well from outside. But after removing host type www from my internal dns and any firewall rules pointing to the internal www, I can not access our website. If I type in www.xyz.com in the browser, the www is removed from the url box and I get page cannot be displayed.

Any ideas?

Monday, September 26, 2016 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I am now having an outside hosting company host our website. I have changed external dns to reflect this change and all works well from outside. But after removing host type www from my internal dns and any firewall rules pointing to the internal www, I can not access our website. If I type in www.xyz.com in the browser, the www is removed from the url box and I get page cannot be displayed.

1.As far as I know,if you domain 'xyz.com' does not have a record 'www',you DNS server in 'xyz.com' will reply no record matched to client,and it will not use forwarder,because the 'xyz.com' domain's authorized name server has replied.

2.According your description,your client will use external IP to access the website,right?So you could try to add a 'www' record with the external IP of the website on your internal DNS server.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I am now having an outside hosting company host our website. I have changed external dns to reflect this change and all works well from outside. But after removing host type www from my internal dns and any firewall rules pointing to the internal www, I can not access our website. If I type in www.xyz.com in the browser, the www is removed from the url box and I get page cannot be displayed.

1.As far as I know,if you domain 'xyz.com' does not have a record 'www',you DNS server in 'xyz.com' will reply no record matched to client,and it will not use forwarder,because the 'xyz.com' domain's authorized name server has replied.

2.According your description,your client will use external IP to access the website,right?So you could try to add a 'www' record with the external IP of the website on your internal DNS server.

Best Regards,
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I have tried adding the www record to dns to the external ip of the website and still have same results. I still host our xyz.com exchange server and a few sub abc.xyz.com domain websites internally.  

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi

I am now having an outside hosting company host our website.>>> This outside hosting co. hosts your external DNS records(if understand correctly),so you select an unused public IP address from the pool they’ve assigned to you, then ask them  to configure an A record for www.xyz.com that resolves to your chosen public IP address.

Also you can configure split-brain dns for both the internal and external records.Check this article for details;

http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1020-what-is-split-brain-split-horizon-or/

http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/category/dns-split-zones/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved there. If there's anything you'd like to know windows server, don't hesitate to ask here.

Best Regards,
    Cartman

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:33 AM