none
DPM Hyper-V VM visibility in DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using DPM for long time. Normally backing up lot of Hyper-V servers and Failover clusters. But for first time a have problem with not visible VMs when I try to backup newly added Windows server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role installed.

Env:

DPM 2012 R2 with latest CU (8) on Windows 2012 R2 - installed on baremetal server

Newly added server is Windows 2012 R2 with latest updates - installed as Core with infrastructure gui (mmc)

DPM agent is installed and I can use it without problems to backup baremetal server and Hyper-V host component, but I couldn´t see and select Hyper-V machines for backup. When I open wizard for new Protection group I can see the server, I can see all drives and system protection and Hyper-V host components but not VMs.

I tried to do backup locally from Hyper-V server and here I can see all and backup succesfully finish. I also tried to restore something from DPM server also without problems, so agent working properly.

I tried also to uninstall the agent and install again with reboot of the server and DPM server of course. No change.

I checked the eventlog and no info about some problems. All clean.

All other servers can see currently backed up VMs.

I marked some discussion around Refresh button greyed out in selection tab of Protection group wizard. I can press it with no change. It looks as some problem with database. This server was victim of old UR5 error where database was updated by script to fix protection groups.

Any ideas?

Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:29 AM

Answers

• Solved!!!!

It was caused by restored Virtual Machine. So if I restore Virtual machine to the different hypervisor it is not possible to backup it in new location.

There are two choices.

a. Export VM and reimport it.

b. delete old VM definition and recreate it.

It can be useful for future release of DPM to implement the warning about that.

• Marked as answer by Michal Dolezal Wednesday, January 6, 2016 11:59 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 11:59 AM