Getting error messages on short cuts; files are missing while opening specific programs (program files are missing for certain programs). RRS feed

• Question

• I have a rather strange problem. Last night when I was installing Norton Antivirus 2011, I walked away from my computer screen for about twenty minutes once I saw that the software had to uninstall the Norton 360 I had that had expired and then install Norton 2011 Antivirus. When I came back to my computer the Norton Antivirus 2011 box said that I had to restart my computer to finish the installation of Norton Antivirus 2011. However, there were also two error messages on my screen in front of the Norton Antivirus 2011 box. I closed the error message boxes and because I didn't think much of them, I didn't record what they were error messages for.

After my computer restarted, the icons for about two thirds of my desktop did not appear and would not work. I later found out that many other programs on my system would not work either. I used system restore and it didn't fix this issue. I have talked to a Norton technician and he has recommended that I ask about my problem here.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. I would include a screenshot of my desktop, but as far as I know I can't access MS paint because of this problem. I'm sorry if this is lengthy. Thanks

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I suggest you try to open these program in Safe Mode. Then check the problem again.

In case this problem disappears, I recommend you may perform a Clean Boot in order to get rid of any other third party software effect.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the problem occurs again, please try to run “sfc /scannow” to check system file. Run command prompt as administrator, then type “sfc /scannow” in prompt Windows, press Enter.

Also I am just wondering what you mean “missing”. Could you not find these files in original directory? Please try to list the name of these program which files missing in order to narrow down this issue.
    If you have any progress or further question about this problem, please feel free and let me know.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:29 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:29 AM